Monday, November 23, 2009

This is Not Going to Work

In an attempt to solve one problem I created another. The problem I was trying to solve was our confusing driveway situation. I always try to make a point to explain our driveway(s) to first-time visitors because being presented with three different options on the road can be somewhat confusing. And in the event that I forget to explain the situation it usually results in our guests having to hike up the hill that separates our backyard from our front door. I’ll never forgot the one couple that had to scale up the slippery rock in nearly a foot of snow because I forgot to warn them about our driveways. After that incident one of us usually tries to ‘stand guard’ watching the back driveway through the windows. At least if we knew somebody was coming to the back of the house we could rescue them.

So how brilliant of an idea was it to buy a gadget that sounds an alarm in the house when a car drives down the back driveway? Not only would this solve the problem of visitors arriving without our knowledge and not being able to access a door from the basement level of the house, but it would definitely come in handy for the gallery. I could sit in the warm toasty house and only run out to the gallery when visitors arrive. I loved this solution!

Karlo set it up yesterday and it worked like a charm. He drove back and fourth while I danced around the house to the sound of the alarm chimes.

But then nighttime came and little did we know that every deer that walks by would set if off. That darn alarm chime went off about 4 times last night. I got so conditioned by alarms going off and falling back to sleep that I didn’t distinguish between the driveway alarm and our real alarm this morning. I just rolled over and went back to sleep. Good grief. Looks like we will have to get into the habit of turning it on and off every day.

No comments: