Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Ballroom Boot Camp Day 3

Yesterday went pretty well. We started off the day in the gym and then had a big breakfast, followed by 3 straight hours of dance lessons. The morning lessons covered Foxtrot and Swing. After lunch we tackled Tango, Rumba, and Waltz. Do you have any idea how confusing it is that most of these dances use the same darn steps in nearly the same order? uuuugh.

Unlike the night before where everybody was dumped into the same big ballroom, tonight they had a separate ballroom for the beginners. It was great. As soon as a song came on an instructor would yell out which type of dance we were supposed to do. This is a huge help. Half the battle is knowing which style of dance is appropriate for each song. So we had 30 minutes of 'dancing with training wheels.' It was non-intimidating because most of the dancers were at our level.

But after our little beginners session, we were corralled into the big ballroom with the expert dancers. I got good seats in the front room of the dance floor and sat down to rest my tired feet and watch the terrific show – the good dancers gliding across the floor. This was my favorite part of the day. Karlo made a comment like, "We better get out of here before somebody asks us to dance." That's ridiculous" I told him, "Why would anybody want to dance with us?"

No sooner do I say this . . . when the very the next song started the best dancers on the floor came over and proceeded to ask us to dance. My eyes bugged straight out of my head and I sat in shock. The gentleman was holding out his hand to me and I just sat there shaking my head. And I thought I was terrified the first night. They insisted that 'we could do it.' Karlo was game to dance with the woman (but of course, nothing seems to phase him) so I got up and reluctantly got on the floor with this guy. It was AMAZING! For one minute I WAS A DANCER. It was like a "Dancing With the Stars" dream come true. I wish this was on video because nobody would believe me gliding across the floor. I did it, I did it. I don't even know WHAT I did, nor how I did it. It was like magic. That alone made my week.

No comments: