Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Home Sweet Home

I wish it was sweet to be home, but I can't say that it is. Yesterday was a very tough travel day. It seems traveling never goes smoothly when you're anxious to get home. All was good until we got to Washington where the US Immigration lines were out of control and because of them we missed our connection. We were supposed to take off from Washington at 5 PM, but instead got told that we can wait on a standby list for the next (and last) flight that was due to depart at 10:15PM. Great, that meant 5 hours to kill in the airport when we've already been up for nearly 20 hours. It was a long 5 hours of waiting, biting our nails and praying we would get seats on the already overbooked plane. Luckily we did.

We made it home just before 1AM, completely exhausted, and entered our cold house and greeted our scared and lonely dog. Poor Peanut didn't have a visitor come over yesterday and we were much later than we had expected. We only had time to hug and kiss her before we headed to bed ourselves. Notice I said "to bed" and not "to sleep." Peanut cried and howled the entire night long. She's just a lost soul without Bentley. It was just a long and difficult day for us.

Today wasn't much better. We picked Bentley up from the vet first thing in the morning. Despite the good reports I got while away, it seems he's back to how he was before we left. The pain meds that were doing the trick needed to be stopped because of his upset stomach. So now he's on more meds for the upset stomach. Once that gets fixed we can continue his pain meds to help him walk. After seeing his condition, followed by the vet bill, I just wanted to cry all over again. Our vacation got significantly more expensive and after watching Bentley just lay there lifeless all day I can't help wonder if we made the right decision. This afternoon Karlo dug a big hole in the backyard and seeing it sent a sword through my chest. I know I'm going to have to keep reliving this pain and sorrow until the deed is finally done and I hate every minute of it.

But on a much brighter note, our trip was great and I have lots of stories and pictures to share. Over the next two weeks (hopefully starting tomorrow) I plan to document my stories (as I always do). I'm really publishing these stories for my own reference, but I invite you to come along on my journey if you so desire. I should be back to my regularly scheduling talking about nothing shortly . . .

No comments: