Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Life in the Fashion Capital of the World

I think the ‘idea’ of being in Milan is more glamorous that actually being here. There’s no doubt that window shopping and seeing all the amazing clothes is a thrill. The depressing part is the price tags. Holy smokes is everything expensive here. I mean ridiculously expensive and add the unfavorable exchange rate and shopping in Milan is not really an option. So take away the fun fashion and you’re basically left with a big ugly city, filled with mostly rude people. And traveling through it is just not pleasant or easy.

But I made the best of it. After my horrific journey to get here I was treated to a fabulous dinner in the Duomo Center. The buildings were so beautiful all lit up at night and Karlo and I strolled around with a small group of our coworkers. It was a fun night (after Karlo stopped complaining about the two train rides it took to get there) with amazing food (that’s the one part of Italy that never fails you).


I got brave on my first day alone in the city. Karlo had two more days to work and I needed to occupy myself. I took the train into the city center and used a handy dandy map to get myself around. I think Karlo was far more scared that I was. He was a nervous wreck knowing I was out and about in the big scary city all by myself. And I must say, I was impressed with myself. I walked all over the city window shopping, eating yummy treats, and sightseeing. I never got lost, nor mugged, so it was a very successful day.



If you would like to see more pictures from Milan, please click here.

No comments: