Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Scarecrow Continues to Struggle

This weekend was mostly all work and no play. The house needed some serious pre-Christmas cleaning and there went two full days. uuuugh. It was dreadful. Between the dust killing my allergies and then the chemical-filled cleaning products making me sick, I just wanted to curl up in a ball and sleep. Getting outside for even a brief time was such a nice and welcome break. It’s been weeks since the poor dogs got a hike and they were simply thrilled. They got all dressed up in their cute coats and tore up the yard. I got suck a kick out of watching them be so happy. I thought, “Now that is what the Christmas spirit should be all about–pure joy.”

And Cooper managed to bring me joy at the end of the hike . . . I simply can’t help taking pleasure in poking fun at his complete lack of intellienge. As we were walking out of the meadow toward the pond Karlo said, “What are the chances that Cooper is going to try to drink out of the pond?” I knew the chances were extremely high given that is his usual routine. After every hike the dogs are thirsty and treat themselves to a drink. Funny how this never happened when Bentley was alive, but sure enough, Cooper runs to the edge of the frozen pond and nearly gets his tongue stuck on the ice. Nothing was funnier than watching his shocked reaction to what just happened. I could just see the bubble cloud over his head. “What happened? Where did the water go? Why is my tongue stuck to this solid freezing thing? Maybe I should move down a foot. Maybe the water is over there.

So he walks down a foot further and tries again. Again his tongue hits the ice. OK, maybe two more feet would be better . . . . He proceeded to make at least 6 attempts at getting water from the shore of the pond until he finally ran out of pond. Good thing because I’m pretty sure he would have continued trying for a mile if there was that much shore. What a shame I didn’t have a video camera for this little episode. My poor clueless wonder sure is entertaining.

And speaking of entertaining. We are making some progress with the dining room. I started to set the table on Saturday and decided I needed more table decoration. I asked Karlo if he would ‘go shopping’ for some decor with me and the look he gave me said it all. There was no way he was going shopping. Can you imagine his relief when I told him that I wanted to ‘shop’ in the back yard? We went outside with some cutters and ‘bought’ some pine clippings and pine cones to adorn the table. It maybe not be Pier One, but it sure is Eastford chic.

Here's a shot of the table, put together and right-side-up. Don't worry Penni, there are extra legs to support the heavy plywood.

Since I couldn't get Karlo (my rooster) to wear his Santa hat, I adorned my 'other' rooster with it.

I guess it's finally beginning to look a little like Christmas around here. Now all we need is a little snow . .

1 comment:

tina said...

the table looks great and your description of Cooper just had me in stitches...