Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Still on a Biking High


We really needed that ride this weekend. I think Karlo and I have been losing our passion for biking. One day this Spring Karlo asked me “Why do we bike?” I figured just the mere fact that he is questioning this shows that he really doesn’t love it like he used to. Should that be a question? My answer was hesitantly . . . “Because we like it?!?” I didn’t know if I was making a statement or asking a question. Do we still love it? Now I was confused.

For sure owning motorcycles has muddied the waters. I mean who wouldn’t rather go for a refreshing motorcycle ride instead of spending a few hours pedaling in the baking sun? It’s a hard choice when you have to pick between the two. Biking started to become a chore we do just to stay in shape. And this past weekend’s trip was supposed to be just a training ride to prepare for our vacation.

Little did we know that it would reignite our passion for biking. Yes, we both questioned why on earth we are doing this . . . on Friday night when the terrain was hell and the heat was deadly. But by the end of the weekend it all came back to us . . . why we do it. Sitting on the back of the tandem gives me lots of time to think and reflect on things that I don’t normally have time to think about. I thought about all sorts of things. I felt happy. I felt good – mentally and physically. I just can’t describe the great sense of accomplishment that long distance biking gives me. I guess it’s like a runner’s high.

I made a mental list of things that I love about biking. I’m sure the list was longer while I was pedaling, but getting back to the real world strains my brain more and now I forgot half of my list. But here’s some of it anyway . . .

Things I Love About Biking:
  • As I already stated, I love the sense of accomplishment I get at the end of a long hard ride.
  • I love the wind and sun on my face, and the sights and smells of undiscovered places.
  • I love the chance to let my mind wander – no music, no conversation, just me and the road.
  • I love the way my legs feel - nice and hard - after riding.
  • I love overcoming obstacles as a team with Karlo (getting lost, broken bike, mending wounds) and feeling closer because of it.
  • I love pigging out on ice cream and feeling like I deserve it.
  • I love the good excuse to wear adorable socks!
  • I love the feeling of complete exhaustion and sleeping like a rock afterwards.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love snoopy and your list!