Sunday, May 10, 2009

The One That Got Away

I still haven't recovered from this yet and talking about it will be difficult. Yesterday Karlo and I snuck in a quick kayak ride before he had to leave for the airport. The weather was kind of crappy at the house and we even packed our rain jackets. Bringing a camera was not even a consideration. But when we arrived at the lake the sun was out and it turned out to be really nice. We launched the boat and expected a quick paddle (just for exercise) and no great shakes.

Well, I guess when you have no expectations of great things is the best time for great things to happen. While we are floating in the middle of the lake an enormous bald eagle dove right by the boat. He aborted his dive into the water and instead flew over to a nearby tiny island and perked in a tree. We paddled over and parked right beneath him. He could not have been in a better spot for viewing him. He was sitting on a branch with very little leaves (or probably pine neddles). There was a big gap in the needles just where he was sitting so he was completely unobstructed. The pretty blue sky was in the background and I literally sat in the boat and cried. I simply could not believe we were this close to the best view of a bald eagle and I had no camera. It didn't help that Karlo lectured me the entire time . . . "All these fancy lens you want and are buying are worthless if you never take your camera with you!" Uuugh, it was a good thing he was far behind me 'cause I wanted to smack him. I was so depressed. We sat there a good long time waiting for the massive bird to fly away and eventually he did. Imagine the shots I could have had of him perched and then of him in flight (as a single tear drips down my face).

To make up for this disaster I had my camera with me most of today. After the dog show, my neighbor Sharon and I went for a little walk and here's just a few shots . . .




3 comments:

lgaumond said...

I have my camera on me almost always, but there's always that one time, that quick run somewhere where I don't bother to grab it and that's when I see the most beautiful sunset or the most amazing something-or-another and I'm kicking myself for not grabbing the camera.

I think that those perfect instances aren't meant to be photographed. Those are things that you're meant to look at with your own eyes, not through a viewfinder, and remember forever.

I'm sure if you had gotten a shot of that eagle it wouldn't have looked as impressive or clear and in focus or huge or majestic as it did for you in person.

Take those camera-free instances as an opportunity to observe and take in as many details as possible and not as moment of stress.

You'll never forget that eagle, will you? That memory will last longer than a picture.

lgaumond said...

Also what in the world is that in the last picture? It looks like a pile of ash. A toad maybe? Maybe I need new glasses.

Unknown said...

Wow Lisa, you are so right. I will NEVER forget that scene. It's permanently en grained into my brain. It wouldn't have been the same through the view finder. Thanks for cheering me up.