Thursday, July 14, 2011

Latest Updates

Wow, for hermits we sure have been on a roll of non-stop socializing. I think my body is going into shock. It seems we've had plans every day for the past two weeks. And on top of that, work is starting to get really crazy. I just haven't had much time for blogging these days and my head is spinning so fast it's hard to remember where I left off, or what I did in the mean time. The highlights that I remember from this week include a social media conference in Cromwell one day, followed by a most delightful shopping trip in Wethersfield, and an awesome get-together with some old volleyball buddies at the Wood N Tap. And the term "old" has a double meaning since my friend Sheryl was celebrating her birthday that day. OK, I guess I should shut up since I'm exactly 8 days older than her ;-) It sure was a great day and night all around.


Then yesterday there was more great socializing as our long lost buddies that moved to Tennessee were back in town. Robin and her kids came over for dinner and we had a ball catching up on an entire year. It sure was hard to cram a year's worth of stuff into 3 short hours and I was sad to have to say goodbye.


And there were more birthdays to celebrate . . . Robin's youngest daughter is turning 13 today (Happy Birthday Sarah), Robin is turning some un-determined age next week, and I (of course) turned 35 last week . . . so we had a yummy cake and look what I got:

Could there be a better shirt for me? I totally can't wait for next 4th of July to sport that!

Today was just a blur. To give you and example I started writing an email back to Tina at about 9 am. It wasn't until after 3:30 that I found the message half written sitting on my desktop - never sent. Well, to be exact, there were 3 messages that I half wrote and never sent this morning. I literally couldn't catch 5 consecutive minutes without somebody coming to my office. My God I was in demand today and it was completely exhausting.

And speaking of Tina, I know she's anxious to hear more about our "wood" project that I've been teasing about. I haven't really meant to tease, we just haven't had much time to complete it, nor talk about it (please see explanation above) . . . but I'm happy to report that it's done and I can finally unveil exactly what Karlo built. It's really not a very big deal, but I was just thrilled.


I have always wanted a really rustic bench and or table, something that we dragged out of the woods and turned into furniture. I have to say, Karlo had a ball with this project. First we bought two pieces of milled lumber. They were basically just cross-sections of a tree, with the rough (bark still on) edges. Karlo spent the first few days sanding and polyurethaning them. It took days to dry and then it was onto the next step of finding some appropriate legs. First we took a hike through our trails to scout out some potential candidates.


Karlo cut and dragged some good options to the driveway where he scratched his head and tried all sorts of combinations. Once he got the right combination he assembled everything and sealed it all up. I am simply thrilled with the result. We have both a bench and a shelf in one unique piece. Here's a pretty bad picture of the finished piece taken from the window upstairs:



1 comment:

tina said...

what an awesome table and bench!!! thanks for filling me in the suspense was killing me :) can't wait to show the kids.