Sunday, July 24, 2011

A Week Late

We were supposed to be in our kayak on a lake right this minute, but the weather is not cooperating. And I'm so disappointed too. We went kayaking yesterday to one of my favorite lakes in Eastford. This place always reminds me of Maine and it just happens to be the lake that first attracted us to Eastford. We found a post & beam house across the street, but that deal (like so many others) just wasn't meant to be.

Yesterday was our first trip to this lake in a very long time and just being there was a thrill. But the trip got so much better. The water was perfectly clear and I had a ball spying on all the pretty fish. I mean this was almost as good as our glass bottom kayak trip to Cozumel. Granted, the fish weren't quite as pretty, but they were cute with their blue tails and the boat was a million times more comfortable. Since it was such a hot and lazy day, Karlo and I decided to just relax and float around without paddling. It was then that we realized the schools of fish swimming around the boat. I swear I could just reach down and grab one if I so desired. I was ready to catch some new pets for my little pond at home. I put my finger into the water and I'll be darned . . . the fish swam up for a nibble. I was actually petting the fish!

Then Karlo decided to throw some pumpkin seeds into the water and it turned into a feeding frenzy. Fish everywhere! I was not comfortable with the fact that we may be choking the poor fish with the seeds so that didn't last long. I was kicking myself for not having my underwater camera with me. What an idiot. Karlo promised that we would go back today (this time with some proper fish food) and now it's raining. So sad.

So in lieu of some amazing shots of cute fish eating out of my hand, here's some pictures we snapped last weekend at Mansfield Hallow. Also a great day on the lake.

First we spotted this spot in the sand bar that we wanted to park. The birds were not too happy that we invaded their space.

They took off as we approached. I'm pretty sure I heard bird cursings.

I got out of the boat and waddled around in the water.

While Karlo happily stayed in the boat and ate his snacks.

No comments: