Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Freeport Getaway


In honor of our anniversary Karlo and I took a little weekend get-away to Freeport, Maine. This was our first pleasure visit to Maine since losing our love for the great state. We used to travel to Maine quite often and savored every minute of it . . . until we became property owners and landlords. Then just hearing the word Maine, or god-forbid seeing the 207 area code on my phone, would send chills down my spine. I decided that I need to get over this aversion to the state that I once loved so much. And it didn’t take me long at all to fall back in love.

We spent two nights in Freeport. Freeport was usually our midway resting point so having it as our final destination was a nice treat. The 3.5 hours seemed so short! We stayed right down the road from downtown Freeport, where all the glorious outlet stores are, including LLBean’s flagship store. God I love Freeport.

After making our Plan B biking route (that didn’t include a ferry ride), we had to move on to Plan C due to the weather. Saturday was looking less than stellar and I didn’t want to get caught in any rain. So we took a nice hike along the shore in the morning and then spent the next several hours shopping. I can’t believe how patient Karlo was. I think he also had fun hunting for new clothes for himself. We both bought lots of new goodies and shopped until hunger finally forced us to quit. After a late lunch we walked around a big art show and I had a ball looking at all the photography. Since we were all shopped out and looking for something more to do we pre-rode our intended bike route and I’m so glad we did. We drove from LLBean to Lands End, which was the very end of the longest peninsula on Casco Bay. Although the scenery was beautiful, the roads were not good for biking. I was happy to have driven it in a car instead because I had my ‘real’ camera with me. We ended up making a completely new biking route for the next day . . . and it was awesome.

We headed out on our bikes first thing Sunday morning. The sun was shining and I was actually too hot. Who would have dreamed that I should have packed a short sleeve bike shirt? Oh well, a good problem to have. Our ride was perfect. We took a leisurely drive home and stopped at the old seaport town in Portland for some strolling of the cobblestone streets and lunch on the pier. This sounds a little better than it was because I was wearing my brand new Privo shoes and they hurt so bad I couldn’t enjoy the strolling and actually had to give up and let Karlo bring the car around. I’m so mad at those shoes I’m writing a nasty letter to Privo. But I did love Portland and never expected the city to be so nice. I’m completely rethinking our retirement as I simply cannot stand it if our future doesn’t include Maine.

Please click here if you would like to see more photos from our trip.

1 comment:

tina said...

hey, congratulations and wish you
many more years!