Thursday, September 3, 2009

I’m So Ashamed

So here I was, all fired up to call Charter Communications and cancel our land line. I just couldn’t wait to make the call. And you won’t believe what ended up happening.

I was ready for the sales pitch to get me to keep the phone service and I thought I was ready to handle it. I had my “I don’t need the landline no matter how much you drop the price of the service” line ready to go. But what I wasn’t ready for was the fact that the monthly total bill would be more money if I dropped it compared to if I kept it. Let me explain . . .

When I said I wanted to cancel the phone the customer service rep said, “What if I could lower your rates? Would you keep the service then?” My answer was what I had planned, “No, I simply don’t need the phone.” But then she explained this promotional package that would guarantee me $45 per month savings if I kept all three services (TV/Internet/phone). The bottom line was that I would pay $109/month (+ tax) for all three services exactly as we have now, or pay $115/month (+ tax) if I dropped the phone. Uuuugh. I was not ready for this situation. It just made no sense at all to pay MORE for LESS. So I hung up the phone shaking my head in disgust by the fact that I went from trying to cancel the service to committing to two more years with them.

Let me suggest that you call your service provider immediately and threaten to drop a service. It’s amazing how quickly you can save nearly $50/month. It just kills me that they have been happily ripping me off for two years. Take the 10 minutes out of your day and make the call. I’m just thinking about where I’m going to spend my extra $45/month . . .

So does anybody want to buy a cool little box that receives cell calls through your house phone?

No comments: