Thursday, August 4, 2011

My Job Doesn't Suck

Today was one of those days when I had to reflect on the fact that my job, not only doesn't suck, but it sometimes really rocks. This morning I found myself writing to a friend and saying that I am grateful every day for the job that I have. I know I have grand plans of not working, or at the very least, working for myself . . . and I am often asked why I'm not pursuing those plans and dreams. My answer is always the same . . . because I have one of the sweetest job in the world, working for one of the best companies. I love the work I do and there are endless perks right in the building. But occasionally I get to travel to cool places and do cool things and this week is one of those occasions.

I flew out to Seattle on Monday, where I got to make a pit stop in Minneapolis, the home of Snoopy :-) Note to self: I need to go back there and spend more time. I was met in Seattle with the most splendid weather any Washington-stater can ask for. What a treat. On Tuesday I got to interview a "rock star" of the speed boat industry (more on that soon), and I also got to meet and interview a person at a local hospital that is responsible for saving the faces of burn victims. What a great feeling to know that our software is responsible for making the burn masks that help to restore these faces.


Yesterday I toured a company that takes new Corvettes and completely strips them down to engine and frame to rebuild them with brand new vintage bodies. What an amazing story that was. These cars take several months to rebuild and in the end you get an amazing work of art that looks exactly like a late 50s or mid 60s car, but with all the modern comforts and safety features. I've never been a fan of Corvettes, but I have to admit, these things were the most beautiful cars I ever laid eyes on. Truly works of art.


And today . . . holy cow was today a hoot. We somehow scored ourselves invitations to the Blue Angels Reception at the Boeing Flight Museum.


We were there to interview a guy that is building an exact replica of the airplane that took the second most significant flight in the world (second only to the Wright Brothers flight). He is rebuilding the first plane to ever fly around the world. If you're interested in more info about this story, please click here.

Another fascinating story. We got to go into one of the 'not-open-to-the-public' hangars and crawl around inside of a vintage B-29 Flying Fortress.

The B-29 from the ground.

And from inside the cockpit.

Then we headed over to the Blue Angels reception. This was by invitation only and I'm pretty sure the only people invited were those that donated a significant amount of money to the museum. Boy did my manager and I feel out of place. But we had a ball. We had a great lunch and were treated to VIP "sky box" seats to watch the Blue Angels take off. We were right on the side of the runway and it was the most amazing experience.

Tomorrow we are off to an event called Sea Fair where we will be joining the race boat crew in the 'pits.' Should be an exciting day of boat races and Blue Angel air shows. I better go charge my camera batteries now.

1 comment:

tina said...

i wish i was a little blue smurf inside your bag so i could come around for the shows