Thursday, August 25, 2011

Watch Your Wedding Rings


I learned an interesting lesson last week. I learned that chickens like shiny things. I marvel at the irony that Karlo calls me a chicken and how I too love shiny things. And how did I learn this lesson? I nearly lost a few diamonds out of my wedding ring . . .

I went out to the barn at lunch time one beautifully sunny afternoon to visit with the chickens.

I found it curious how some chickens ran away as I approached, while other chickens seemed curious to investigate me. I crouched down to snap a few pics and one chicken in particular started to make her way toward me.


I stayed very still and waited to see what she would do when she got to me. Well, that was stupid. She came right up to me and tried to eat my ring. She just zeroed right into the shimmer of the diamonds and pecked hard at my ring. Yikes. I better go have the diamonds checked to make sure they are not loose. Some nearby coworkers laughed that I would be having chicken soup for dinner had any diamonds really gone missing. Funny how quickly I would have gone from loving the chickens as pets to ripping one open to get my precious rocks back.

Strange how they weren't interested at all in fresh basil . . .

Lesson learned - either stay away from the chickens or remove shiny objects when visiting them.

1 comment:

tina said...

i will remember this lesson the next time i come across a chicken, thanks for the heads up.