Monday, August 29, 2011

One of the Coolest Kitchen Gadgets Ever

OK, so maybe I shouldn't be an authority on rating or reviewing kitchen gadgets. And perhaps the whole world already knows these things exist and it's just me in my sheltered little non-cooking, kitchen-hating life that didn't know about them . . . but just in case you never heard of a pineapple slicer, check this out.

About a week ago (yes, I know I'm behind with my blog stories. It's Jessica's fault) we had some friends come over for a visit. As usual, Karlo and I had very little food in the house and certainly nothing to entertain with. We had to resort to cutting up a pineapple and serving that, and it turned out to be the best decision ever. You see, our friend Jean . . . when seeing Karlo's pineapple cutting hack job, asked us if we ever used a pineapple slicer. Of course our answer was "What is a pineapple slicer?" and that led to a phone call the very next morning. Jean called me up to tell me that she had a slicer (and a fresh pineapple) for me and wanted to stop by to drop it off and demo it. Like this happens every day . . . a friend calls and says they want to bring you over a gift. I was thrilled.

But with the impending thunderstorm threats I felt bad to let her and her husband drive 45 minutes (each way) on a motorcycle to inevitably get caught in the rain. The better plan was to meet up half way. We picked a parking lot in Woodstock and Karlo and I packed not only our rain gear, but also a knife and a Tupperware. Jean couldn't believe that we came prepared to slice, dice, and eat the fruit. Here's the scene. I wonder what the passer-byers thought of this on the side of the road:


This gadget not only removes the core of the pineapple, but it slices the fruit into perfect rings as it travels down.


You are left with a perfect stack of pineapple rings and shell filled with pineapple juice. The very best part is drinking the juice straight from the shell. OMG yum.


We all gobbled down the entire pineapple and jumped on our bikes to head for shelter. Luckily everybody got home before the storms and it was the most fun little afternoon pineapple rendezvous. Jean, thank you so much for the slicer! We used it this past weekend and, of course, made a big deal about demoing the product to our friends. I let our friend Sue drink the juice from the shell and now she's sold and must have one too. I wish I could tell you where to buy one. Maybe you'll be lucky enough to have a friend just give you one :-) but if not I'm sure you can google pineapple slicer. Don't delay. Order one now. Operators standing by . . .

2 comments:

tina said...

you guys crack me up :) how did Irene treat you at your house? we just got power back but nothing major happened. hope all is well

Harry Hilders said...

Interesting tool!