Thursday, July 19, 2007

Color Crisis

Karlo just pointed out that I’m a slacker because I didn’t have a new blog entry today. I was hoping to post the final segment of the Croatia trip and I already have it written and ready to go. However, I was a bit preoccupied last night with my latest crisis and never got around to turning the computer on. Actually we got home at 10 PM last night and went straight to bed.

So here is my latest crisis. Yesterday we went to the house after work. This was our first time seeing the place empty. What a difference. First we saw it all furnished with Rick & Nancy’s things and it looks so incredibly cozy. Lately, we’ve been seeing it in a disaster state, with boxes EVERYWHERE as Rick and Nancy were preparing to move. Then last night we saw it completely abandoned. It was almost sad. It sure does look different empty. The house certainly isn’t the same without those cheerful folks greeting us. Right now it just looks like a dance hall.

Anyway, that’s not really my story. My story is that we had a goal last night to paint the bedroom. I knew this would be a huge job and I was hoping to get it all done last night and move on to the 40,000 other things we need to do. So after one hour of taping (two complete rolls of masking tape worth) and THREE hours of the two of us painting, I came to the sad realization that the paint was terrible and would need a second coat and worse . . . I don’t like the color! What a nightmare.

I picked the color in natural light and apparently it makes a BIG difference what light you are looking at colors in. Indoors, my color was 3 shades darker. Lesson #1 – always pick your colors in the room and lighting where the paint will be on the wall. Lesson #2 – never buy Olympic paint. I have used cheap Walmart paint that was better than Olympic. And Lesson #3 – if you ever find yourself with a post & beam house and you are considering painting the interior, get a professional. I have painted a lot of rooms in my life and nothing was as challenging as this! And to think, I have several more rooms to go. I will just be happy if I can stick with the original paint that I pick out. Painting it once stinks, painting twice is dreadful. Wish me luck. Pictures to follow.

No comments: