Monday, July 30, 2007

First Blog Post From Eastford

This is my first entry from our new home . . . and my fingers are just about the only part of my body not in pain! Over the past two days, Karlo and I did what would probably take sane people a month to do. I am a very hard worker, but I don’t think I worked this hard my whole life. We went nearly non-stop from 7 AM Saturday morning to after 8 PM last night, when my back hurt so bad I literally couldn’t move. Our only breaks were occasional snack stops and even then, I didn’t want to waste time eating. But I’m happy to report that all of our hard work paid off. It really feels like we are moved in. There are still tons of boxes in the basement, but we have enough unpacked to live comfortably.

One of my big accomplishments for the weekend included unpacking and setting up my new kitchen. First of all, for somebody that doesn’t cook, I own way too much stuff. But on a brighter note, this new kitchen is amazing. We had a lot of storage in Andover, but it was poorly designed and lots of wasted space. This kitchen, on the other hand, has brilliant custom storage where there is a place for everything. I still didn’t use up all the space. And the really good news is that I need to buy some pretty things to display in the glass front cabinets. That should be a fun task!

My favorite accomplishment was getting our bedroom set up and making a dent on organizing the master bathroom. After all the traumas I caused myself over picking the paint color, I truly love how it turned out. I was convinced there was no good way to place our furniture in this awkward room, but it all worked out great. And hanging some window treatments was the icing on the cake. Now it feels so cozy and slightly romantic. I never had a romantic looking bedroom!

My least favorite accomplishment was single-handedly (well, almost – I needed Karlo to hold the ladder a couple times) painting the two guest bedrooms . . . and let me tell you – that SUCKED. I painted from 10 AM until 7 PM, with a 15 break for lunch. And still my mp3 player battery outlasted me. I know Lisa is reading this cursing because she actually likes to paint and yes, I know . . . I should have waited for her. I only have one more room to paint (in the near future) and I think I’m calling her in for that one!

Karlo did so many things I can’t possibly list them. We were both so exhausted and nothing was sweeter than sleeping on our new bed! That was pure bliss.

The dogs, on the other hand, are not quite so happy here. I think they miss Grandpa! Every chance Bentley gets, he makes a mad dash for the car. He can’t wait to leave this place. It doesn’t help that we had thunder storms both days of the weekend. Now the dogs associate this house with big scary things. Uuugh. It will take some time to get them settled.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paula is one hard worker for someone who makes you believe that she is dainty . . . she is nuts!

Anonymous said...

i can finally tell the kids you are
officially living in your new home.
they are very excited for you both,
as well am i.

lgaumond said...

Yes... I'm cursing you silently. Why didn't you wait?? You knew I was planning to come help this week!

Unknown said...

Karlo made me do it!