Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Mary Janes Confuse Me

Every time I see Mary Jane shoes in a catalog, or on somebody’s feet, I think they are adorable. I had my eye on a pair from Land’s End since before Christmas. I kept sneaking online to check them out. I even went to Land’s End to take a look in person and I loved them. So after scoring myself a $50 gift card to Sears (who just happens to sell Land’s End) I decided that I’m going to treat myself to these:


If you could see me shopping in the store you would have to laugh. I agonized over which ones to get. I really wanted the white ones, but they didn’t have them. There was some red ones and the purple ones on sale. I loved the purple – how very “Paula.” But then I sat there in deep thought trying to imagine what on earth I would wear them with. And what socks will go with them???

I walked around the store wearing one purple shoe and one red shoe. After a few laps around the shoe department I thought it was crazy to get strange colored shoes and it would make more sense to get a solid color. So I went and got the brown ones and thought I was done. But wait, my new Land’s End jacket is really dark blue – almost black. And I just bought a new down sport black jacket. Wouldn’t the black make more sense? Yes, definitely. So I put the brown ones back and grabbed the black ones. I got halfway to the register and realized that I have no less than six pairs of comfy (and sadly ugly) sport black shoes. Uuuuugh.

Back I went. I grabbed the purple ones and that was that. So now I have them and I just can’t figure out what to do with them. Here they are with dark blue socks.


Lisa suggested getting some funky socks, or some nude color socks. What do you think?



I know what Tina is thinking . . . “Why on earth would anybody buy such ugly shoes?” I just wish I could find the right socks to make these as cute as I thought they were. I knew I shouldn’t have bought Mary Janes! I have a feeling they will be collecting some serious dust in my closet.

2 comments:

lgaumond said...

You're absolutely right, they'll never look right on you, please just send them to me and be done with it.

Also, the way you're sitting, with the ankles of your pants hiked up, nothing it going to look right. I'm sure if you were standing up, and not wearing highwaters, that my favorite would be the stripey socks.

Anonymous said...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you quoted me exactly.
they are so ugly no matter what
sock you wear. i usually see that
style shoe on a 6yr old because
they just cant seem to tie their
shoes yet. thanks for making me LOL