Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Tables Have Turned

Karlo and I recently had a role reversal and I’m so proud of him. I have been complaining about our ugly and dirty microwave for . . . well, since we moved into our house. I didn’t like that it was black. I didn’t like that I smelled like bacon. And I wasn’t too thrilled with it being under the countertop. I stumbled across a new model that I thought was brilliant. It was a microwave “drawer” that worked exactly how you are imagining. Instead of a door popping open, the entire thing slides out from under the counter. I was convinced I had to have it, but the $700 price tag and the fact that we drove to every appliance store we knew of and still couldn’t find one finally made me give up.

I recently went back to the drawing board looking for other options. Because our microwave is “built-in” our options were very limited due to the size constraints. Most of the options that would fit were other JenAir models, but those darn things are expensive and if I’m going to spend that much I may as well have the fancy drawer model. I narrowed my search down to two models: a $150 dollar no frills, stainless model with a button to open the door; and a sexy $550 stainless convention microwave with a swoopy window and a beloved handle to open the door. I put them both on my monitor and there was NO QUESTION which one I wanted, but I called Karlo in to give his input. Without knowing anything about them (including the price) he, without question, picked the cheaper no frills one. I was crushed. I tried to sell him on the whole convention option, but we both knew I was kidding not only him, but myself. When would I ever use that? I never even use my real convection oven. I just wanted that darn handle!

Karlo went completely against his normal spendy self and convinced me that we should get the cheap one because it’s under the counter and you can’t see it anyway. I reluctantly agreed, and I have to say, I’m thrilled. We installed it last weekend and the truth is, I never even notice it. For some reason the old one bugged me every time I was in the kitchen, yet the new one goes completely unnoticed. Thanks for talking some sense into me Karlo. And now I’m wondering what we should buy with all the money we saved . . .

No comments: