Thursday, February 26, 2009

Worse Than a Root Canal

I went to the eye doctor on Tuesday to see about getting my eyes corrected for my close-up vision. I’ve been struggling for months (hmmmm, ever since I turned 40) with blurry vision while reading. I was convinced that it was time for some touch up Lasik.

I drove an hour all the way to Hamden to find out that my vision is fine and my problem is severe dry eye. Sort of irritating seeing as this is no big surprise and I’ve been treated for this every other year since my Lasik surgery. I was actually disappointed that my vision was fine and I didn’t need more surgery. I know this may sound crazy, or even sick, but I wanted a quick and easy fix—not one that would require 2 prescriptions, several drops, ointments, and vitamins to be consumed every day. But oh well.

The disappointing diagnosis was only half the story. I had to have three different drops put into my eyes for the various tests the doctor needed to do, and one of those drops were the evil pupil dilators. I dread, hate, and despise getting my eyes dilated and I assume it’s because of my eye condition that I’m so sensitive. For me, chopping an onion is like getting acid sprinkled into my eye. Dilating them is even worse.

Now did I mention that I drove all the way to Hamden (alone) on a very bright and sunny day? The doctor gave me two sets of ‘reversal’ drops to try to bring my eyes back to normal, but it didn’t work. I had to drive for an hour heading East, while the sun was setting in the West and the glare off the back windshields, mirrors, and every piece of chrome completely blinded me. I literally drove down the highway not sure if I was following a MINI Copper or a Suburban. I sometimes didn’t even know if there was a vehicle in front of me at all. I couldn’t read a single road sign and I’m pretty sure that, at the time, I was legally blind. It was terrifying and painful.

But that was nothing compared to the headache I got by the time we got to Eastford. I’ve heard of light sensitivity migraines, but never had one . . . until this episode. I couldn’t even watch TV Tuesday night because the TV was too bright. I was miserable and it took me over 24 hours to recover from a trip to the eye doctor. I would rather have a root canal than do that again!

1 comment:

lgaumond said...

That's awful. I'm sensitive to the eye-dilation, too. It's pure misery and it lasts for hours.

Luke, on the other hand, had his eyes dilated, walked out of the office on a bright, sunny day without a problem, and was back to normal by the time we drove from Glastonbury to Andover. It made me want to poke him in the eye! That's just not fair.

I hope you're feeling better!