Wednesday, October 5, 2011

On the Road Again

Well, I'm on the road again. This time I'm in Camden, Maine so I really can't complain too much. I'm here for a week of video training and so far I've completed my first two days. This year I'm having a much better time than last year, mostly because I'm not stuck in a computer lab (with no windows) for 12 hours per day. On Monday we had a morning and an afternoon shooting exercise, which got us outside. It's almost sinful to be in such a beautiful place and spend every waking moment indoors in front of a computer. It looks like this class has no computer time and the only thing I'll be in front of (and mostly behind) is a camera. Not many things make me happier.

And speaking of cameras, I haven't touched mine since I got here. I can't even explain that one. I spent sunset on the Rockport harbor last night and the lighting was spectacular. I didn't even have my stinkin' phone! Good grief, what a loser photographer I am. But in my defense, I was on a mission and that mission was to shoot video (which a big, confusing, real professional video camera). That task consumed all my attention and energy and it didn't even occur to me to tag along my camera. Still kicking myself.

And also speaking of cameras and photography, Monday night was a life changing experience. Unlike all my evenings at last year's training where I never made it out of the computer lab, this year we were released to attend some of the activities that the school sponsored in Downtown Rockport. I'm pretty sure that "Downtown Rockport" is an oxymoron, by the way. You have to see it to understand. Anyway, I went with my classmates to see a famous photographer, Vincent Versace, give a talk and present some of his slide shows. Can watching a simple slide show really be a life altering experience? Well, it was for me. This is unusual for me, but I struggle to find the words to describe what I felt after watching this guy and his work. I'm just stunned and amazed and inspired beyond belief. One thing is for sure . . . after me blogging about whether or not I'm a "photographer" a few months ago and trying to come to terms with the fact that I am . . . well, I'm NOT. Not even close. Not yet, but someday I hope to be. Vincent is my new photographic hero and idol. I won't soon forget that slide show and as far as I'm concerned, if I learn nothing else this week, the trip was worthwhile.

2 comments:

tina said...

i hope your feelings of inspiration continue thru the week. you have wonderful weather too.

lgaumond said...

You know what I think would be perfect for you? (And I know you're going to scoff when I say this...) I think you should apply for the limited residency photography MFA program here at my school. http://www.hartfordphotomfa.org/index.php

Not only will you learn more about photography, you'll travel the world learning from the best pros in the world, AND by the end, you'll be over that silly internal struggle of whether or not to call yourself a photographer.