Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Amazing Part of the Amazing Race


I should start off this entry right away by saying that Karlo and I are not big fans of the Amazing Race, not because we don't like the show, but simply because we never watch the show. I personally would be all for watching it. On some isolated occasions when Karlo has been out of town the lure of the show pulled me right in as I was channel surfing. I'm not quite sure what it is about the show exactly that sucked me in, but it didn't take long. I imagine it was the cool and exotic travel locations or the interesting challenges the contestants must face. Something about it totally interested me and, if I had my way, we would watch it all the time. I'm not quite sure why, but for some reason Karlo seems to be morally opposed to reality TV. If it doesn't involve dancing or singing then he's not at all interested. sigh.

So why am I talking about this show that we never watch? Because I can't tell you how many people have told me over the past few years that  Karlo and I should be on that show. Everyone says the same thing, "You guys would be great on The Amazing Race." For some reason everyone that we know that watches the show, watches it and thinks of us. There is no doubt that I would love to try it. As a matter of fact one of the excursions on our Cozumel cruise was the "Cozumel Amazing Race" where you got to participate in a mini Amazing Race. I was totally into it, but there were so many other cool excursions to pick from and we only had one day. Note to self that we must go back there.

To continue my rambling story . . . last week I heard from another friend that me and Karlo should be on the Amazing Race, but this time it was different. This time it was "They are holding Amazing Race auditions close by and YOU GUYS GOTTA GO." If I had a dollar for every time somebody told me that we should be on the show we would be halfway to the grand prize, so finally I got curious enough to look into the auditions. The more I thought about it, the more excited I got. We COULD be great on that show. We could travel to cool places and have an amazing experience. Why wouldn't we audition for the it?

Karlo insisted on asking, "Why would they pick us?" And I just thought, "Why WOULDN'T they pick us?" Karlo is a pretty interesting guy and I'm sure he would peak the interest of somebody watching. So that was it. We were going to try out!

Then I went to the web site and read the rules and restrictions and our very short lived bubble got instantly popped. Among the first three rules was "You must be a US Citizen." Booooooo hissss. There goes our big worldwide adventure down the tubes. And what kills me the most is that I went from never even giving one single thought to ever trying to get on this show to complete and utter disappointment over not being able to audition. That little fable about only wanting the grapes you can not reach is so true. The second I found out that I couldn't have it I wanted it ten times more. So ridiculous. Well anyway, I think Karlo is going to begin his application for citizen ship next year so maybe there's still hope for us.

1 comment:

tina said...

i would seriously step in for karlo so you don't have to wait another year...