Tuesday, November 22, 2011

What is Wrong With This Picture?

Last weekend Karlo and I attended a local school fundraiser. It was a pasta dinner and along with the dinner there was both a live and silent auction. I just love those. The thrill and sport of stalking the items that you want to win, while outbidding your fellow neighbor is all just so exhilarating. And it really does work out to snag some nice things, especially gifts, and take the charity tax write-off to boot. It's just a win win situation of doing something good for the community while helping your own finances a bit.

Karlo and I both got caught up in the whole spirit of the silent auction. I must have placed a bid on 25 different things. It could have been one heck of an expensive night had I not gotten so distracted by socializing while slacking on the bid stalking. And little did I know that Karlo was off on his own, doing his own bidding. He, of course, is not as savvy of a shopper as I am (given the fact that we went home with items that he bid well over face value on -- but I'm happy knowing it was for a good cause so I didn't give him too much grief). But this next stunt, however . . . this deserves some grief. Can you tell me what is wrong with this picture????


It's a reenactment, of course, and I'm still kicking myself for not taking a picture of the actual bidding sheet. Early in the evening (when I was stalking my desired items) I was paying very close attention to my favorite items where I was getting outbid. Imagine my surprise when I saw this item (which just happened to be a gigantic basket of chocolate that I was trying to win for Karlo) and I saw that I was outbid -- by MYSELF! OK, maybe it wasn't exactly myself. Maybe it was my bird brain husband that didn't notice that the exact same number and name was listed on the line right above the line that he filled out. What kind of ding dong ups the bid on themselves? OMG that one takes the cake for never paying attention to anything.

And here's the best part of the story. Since I was so busy not paying attention to all the things that I wanted to win so badly I didn't realize that somebody (other than Karlo) outbid me on that chocolate. At the last second our friends Jill & Dan put the winning bid down and  . . . you ready for this? GAVE us the basket. I was just stunned by this amazing act of friendship. So now we have this puppy sitting on our counter:


And it's torture because we PROMISED them that we wouldn't open it until they visited us this coming weekend. Yeah, my family wasn't too happy with that deal when they were over last weekend and we didn't break our promise. It's like waiting for Santa to arrive . . . Saturday can't come soon enough. Thanks again Jill!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too cool