Monday, April 20, 2009

Who’s Idea Was It Anyway?

The theme for the weekend seemed to be asking the question, “Who’s idea was it to build a shed?” Funny, it seemed like a good idea several months ago—especially when we went shopping for a pre-built shed. Wouldn’t it be fun to pick one out, have it delivered, and watch others set it in place? Ahh yes, now that would have been fun. But instead we decided to build it ourselves. What the heck were we thinking?

My weekend started off great with checking in on the kiln results. But it quickly took a turn for the worse . . . I entered painting Hell on Saturday morning and didn’t emerge from that Hell until Sunday afternoon. Just about every part of my body hurts from the worst painting project of my life. It was horrendous and I swear I never want to touch another roller as long as I live.

I got all 18 boards of rough cut siding painting. Now all we had to do was build the walls and set them in place. A piece of cake. Afterall, the painting was the hardest part. Or so I thought . . .

We took a break from work and had lunch on Sunday and Karlo suggested that we should reward ourselves and go kayaking in the afternoon. All we needed to do was erect the wall he already built. How hard could that be?

Forget hard, it was impossible. What a nightmare disaster. I am extremely strong, but apparently Karlo expects much more out of me than I could possibly deliver. Trying to raise that wall and hold it into place (16 feet in the air, against the wind) and not have it topple off the deck was simply impossible. We were able to raise it up, but keeping it from slipping off the edge was not going to happen. I aborted the mission, with the wall falling down on me in the process. Karlo was annoyed and I was terrified. I literally sat on the decking and cried because I knew there was no way in the world I could help make this happen. And I also knew there was no way in the world the most stubborn man on earth would ever ask for help. So I sat there with tears rolling down my face, praying that our friends Dan and Jill would miraculously stop by just when I needed them. And don’t you know, they did! Within 10 minutes of the incident that nearly broke me, and the wall, they pulled into the driveway and saved the day. Thanks to my guardian angel Dan, we now have three ways in place.

Here's the wall that nearly killed me. Can you imagine holding this in place without it falling over?

Here's Dan helping Karlo raise the second wall.

And here's what we have so far - three walls up. Yippee!

2 comments:

lgaumond said...

You two are certifiably insane.

Also, one should not reward oneself after a big day of manual labor with and afternoon of exercising. Sit on the deck and drink margaritas to reward yourself! You have a lot to learn, missy.

Karlo said...

Actually I was helping Dan . . . not the other way around.

I like your idea of sipping margaritas Lisa - when are you comming over? You make the best ones!