Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Shack Improvements

I figured these improvements didn't really fall under the categories of "home improvements" so I saved them for a blog posting all their own . . .

I have been brainstorming all sorts of inexpensive solutions to covering the ugly sub-floor in the Love Shack. You name it, I thought of it, but what I settled on I never dreamed up even with my crazy imagination. I saw that good ole Job Lots was selling commercial carpet tiles for $2 each. We would only need 56 to completely cover the entire shack wall to wall, and that sounded like an incredible bargain. So we ran down to the nearest Job Lots to scoop them up, but what do think happened when we got there? Their supply was low and there wasn’t more than 5 or 6 of the same color or pattern. Karlo instantly gave up and wanted to leave. Not so fast! There has to be a way to make this work. Karlo, stood there in the isle, completely losing his patience with me and shaking his head in disapproval. He told me that I’m nuts as I painstakingly removed every single piece of carpet from the shelves and built piles of lights versus darks, and patterns versus non patterns. The whole time Karlo is complaining that this idea is ‘gypsy’ (as he always calls things that he doesn’t like). But I didn’t listen to him. I was convinced this would work and I took the bold chance at piling 56 of these crazy tiles into our carriage. Off we went . . .

We got back home to the Love Shack and got to work. Well, I guess you could say I worked. I laid out 6 or 8 tiles in my preference of pattern combinations and then I proceeded to lay down on them and rest as Karlo worked on measuring and cutting. Before too long I had 3 or 4 naps and we were done. I personally love it. Others may think I’m crazy, but come on, it is an art gallery after all. Karlo later admitted that it was cool. And that made my day :-)


I got a couple other things in preparation for the first opening this season (more on that real soon). First I needed a little flag outside the door to state that the shack is indeed 'open for business.'


And in addition to that, we bought a slightly larger OPEN sign for the roadside. Karlo wanted to test out where he would hang it and I snapped a picture of his little parade down the driveway. Too cute.

2 comments:

lgaumond said...

I absolutely LOVE the carpet tiles. Great job! I can't wait to see them this afternoon.

tina said...

love it!!!!