Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Touring the Old Town of Dubrovnik


Today was our big day to go back to the Old Town of Dubrovnik and we were quite proud of ourselves for getting on the right buses and figuring out the whole public transportation thing – something that we are notoriously terrible at. The day was mostly overcast and we thought it best to do the highlight attraction right away, before the threat of rain. We bought our tickets to walk along the top of the wall that surrounds the city and started our day with that most incredible walk. I loved every minute of it. The views were incredible and that whole experience makes it to my grand list of “Cool Things To Do In a Lifetime.” It’s right up there with a gondola ride in Venice, a trip up the Eiffel Tower, etc.


The walk was supposed to take an hour, but it took us longer due to all of my picture taking. As it turned out the weather held out for us all day and I really enjoyed walking through the old city without all the big crowds of cruise ship tourists.

Isn’t if funny how we get annoyed by tourists when we ARE tourists? [insert cheesy tourists pictures here.]


We got back in the late afternoon and by the evening the rain finally couldn’t contain itself any longer. It started to pour just when Karlo decided he was hungry and wanted to go out. You can imagine the conversation where I’m whining and he’s calling me a whimp. Fine. I put my rain jacket on and off we went with our big hotel-issue umbrella. That was a nice touch in our room, but when I think about what we paid per night, they should have given us a dozen umbrellas. So we walked down to the strip in the heaviest of the rain. Once I got over the initial shock of getting completely soaked we actually had fun walking in the rain. The wind was strong and the waves were fun to watch as they crashed over the rocks. We looked like a scene out of movie, huddled together under one umbrella while walking in a downpour. We had the entire promenade to ourselves. We managed to find a restaurant that was still open - most closed due to the rain, and as soon as we sat down the rain stopped. Unreal.

We sat and lingered long enough for my pants to almost dry out (gotta love the high tech clothing) and by the time we started to walk back it was 8:45, prime time for the sky to get interesting. To my surprise the sky was looking amazing due to the dark clouds. And did I have my camera? Of course not. I wasn’t going to carry it in a downpour. I practically made us run all the way back to the hotel, but by the time we got there and got back outside it was too late to capture it on ‘film.’ Oh well.

1 comment:

tina said...

what a great photo of the city thru that old rock window/opening. i hope the food was good. what do they eat in dubrovik...i'm sure no hot dogs or burgers.