Thursday, June 10, 2010

A Slippery Ride and a Shaky Hike


We woke up today to an overcast and slightly drizzly day. At first I was disappointed, but when I remembered the terrible sunburn I got yesterday, I was a bit relieved that I could keep my arms covered up. I was so uncomfortable with the sun shining on my upper arm yesterday that I had to ride with one hand on the handlebars and the other trying to cover my upper arm. It was a bit dangerous so I thought today would be safer biking in a jacket. It was more comfortable, but forget about safer. Do you have any idea how slippery cobblestones are when wet? And especially the cobblestones down there. Some sort of strange layer of salt forms on the roads from the sea air and when they get wet they are like ice. At least that is what the tour guide said, but of course I didn’t believe him. Until I tried to walk with my bike at my side, in my rubber Keen sandals and both my feet and the bike went gliding, out of control, sideways. That was the strangest feeling, and boy did I pay close attention to my riding after that little experience. That certainly made the day more interesting!

We rode an easy short distance before it was time for our mid-morning (ten dollars worth of 12 ounces of liquid) break at a cafe. This time it was really worth the $10 because as soon as we sat down under the big umbrellas it started to rain. Up to this point we had on our rain gear, but it didn’t actually rain. The timing couldn’t have been better. And as luck would have it the rain stopped before it was time to bike again. We biked down to this icon landmark island of Montenegro (shown below). By the time we got back to the boat the sun came out and we all shed our jackets. Time for sunscreen. I’m a slow learner. Must get inflicted with terrible burn before applying sunscreen.

Lunch was an adventure because the boat headed out of the harbor while we were eating and the seas were rough. You had to hold on to everything to keep it out of your lap. But it was fun. I gobbled my food quickly so I could go out on deck and really enjoy the waves. I loved the entire trip back to Kotor. The boat rocked just enough to keep it interesting and relaxing and the scenery as we sailed through the mouth of Kotor Bay was out of this world. Massive cliffs completely surround this bay and the experience of sailing in was breathtaking. This is what drew me to the trip to begin with and I was disappointed that we biked in, rather than sailed in when we first came to Kotor. But this time we entered (and will also exit) via water and it was just as I imagined it would be.

We pulled into the harbor in Kotor at 5:30 and decided that we must hike to the fortress on the top of the hill before dinner. Standing at the harbor and looking up at this seemed very daunting, but since our bike ride today was easy, we knew we had to do it just for the exercise . . . and the excuse to pig out on dessert. For a visual reference, I circled the tiny flag flying at the top - our destination.


And we hiked and hiked all the way up to the top where that Montenegro flag was flying. The views from up there made it all worth while and the climb up wasn’t all that bad. It’s biking muscles that take you up. Coming back down, however, was dreadful. Whatever muscles going down requires were lacking in my poor shaking legs. Up to this point none of the biking has made me sore, but I fear what this hike is going to do to me.

Finally made it to that flag.

I guess he didn't get high enough on the trail. I wanted to kill him for this stunt.

Next it was time for a nice dinner within the old walled city or Kotor. We strolled and ate, and strolled and ate some more. I could get used to this European life-style of biking and hiking every day followed by long dining and slow strolling.

Here is what that hike looked like all lit up at night.

3 comments:

tina said...

what a great day!! such a beatiful night time photo. i also like the update to your blog,neat.

tina said...

oh yeah, i guess the muscles used to go down hill are the glutes and hamstring.

louis vuitton neverfull mm said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.