Monday, March 19, 2007

Major Undertaking




The house is officially unlivable now! Our pool table has been reduced to three naked pieces of slate that are stacked on top of the butcher block (in photo above). This was a very stressful operation. Who knew moving a pool table would be such an ordeal? I originally scheduled the professionals to do the whole job . . . come to Andover, take it apart, bring it to Eastford and put it back together. Well, that didn't work out. Apparently that would be an ALL day process (and that's IF they can do it all in one day). My window of when we could invade the house of the current owners in Eastford didn't allow for several hours in one afternoon. So we moved to Plan B.

Plan B was Karlo doing most of the work. Only problem - he never disassembled or reassembled a table before. So of course, I was a nervous wreck. But so far so good. We managed to get the felt off in one piece. That required removing about a thousand staples!! I was even able to help Karlo stack the very heavy slate pieces. Now we are arguing over what to do next. Karlo wants to strap the frame of the table to the top of our utility trailer and drive it over to Eastford ourselves. I think NOT. I want the table INSIDE the moving truck. We'll see who wins this argument and at this point we are running out of time to move it ourselves. Hopefully the movers will fit it on the truck and the professional pool table dudes can take over from there. I better really appreciate the next game of pool we play. My goodness.

1 comment:

lgaumond said...

Oh I'm a terrible person! I was going to send Luke to help and I forgot. I'm so sorry!

Don't worry about your table. It's basically like a dining table - no more delicate or precise. The only thing you don't want to do it break the slate - which you didn't - good job. Even the felt is replaceable and anything that comes loose on the table during transport can be tightened and fixed when you reassemble it. Don't worry! your TV is more delicate than your pool table.