Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Back to Life, Back to Reality

Hey, that title is a song and I can’t for the life of me remember who sung it. I can hear it in my head and now it will be stuck there all day . . .

It pretty much sums up my life at this moment. I went from the bliss of one of the most beautiful places in this country (or world for that matter) to the harsh realities of work and home. It was like a slap across the face. Certainly not an easy transition. In Maine we had no worries in the world. We spent our entire days hiking and biking in Acadia National Park, our biggest decisions were which trails to take and when to stop for snacks. Oh and the most stressful decisions were always where to be for sunrise and sunset. I guess I did have to add a little bit of work and stress otherwise we might not be able to function. But it was soooo nice. We did what we love to do all day long. We filled our thoughts with dreams of moving to Maine and having this as our playground permanently. We literally lived in a fantasy world for 5 or 6 days. Then it all came to a screeching halt.

We didn’t even get home yet before Karlo started with the rushing and the pressure. He looked up toward the sky in Union and determined that the clouds would soon take over. He insisted that we need to take the dogs for a walk before we even unloaded the car. Really???? Is 10 or 15 minutes going to make that big of a difference? He insisted that it would and we would surely be walking in cloud cover if we didn’t rush, rush, rush. Sigh. The vacation was so incredibly OVER.

As soon as we got home it was a mad dash. We had to unpack, do laundry, Karlo had to wash every car we owned immediately. And then the lawn. Holy cow, the sky was going to fall if the leaves didn’t get blown and the grass get cut. No time for lunch. Back to work. It was during this fury of activity that it really hit me. It doesn’t matter where we live. We could own the most beautiful dream home on the most spectacular spot on the coast in the most relaxing state in the country . . . but still, if it was home, Karlo would turn it into nothing but all work and no play. Why do I even bother dreaming of this laid back Maine lifestyle? It’s a joke and a pipe dream that our location could ever change us. A slight feeling of depression started to sink in. At least it made me throw away the real estate booklets. I guess that was a good thing.

Please stay tuned for my vacation recap including lots of pictures. I just need a little time to catch up. OK, who am I kidding? I need a lot of time to catch up, but I’ll do my best.

3 comments:

lgaumond said...

You need a small home with a driveway for Karlo to keep clean and a lawn for him to mow, and then you need to live in it only one week a month.

You can retire and go on vacation for three weeks of peace and relaxation, then come home and watch your neurotic task-master go and polish the asphalt or comb the blades of grass or whatever other insane thing he feels that need to do for a week, then turn back around and vacation for another three weeks.

I think this is a brilliant idea.

lgaumond said...

Also, I think that song was by "Soul II Soul" and thanks for getting is stuck in MY head, too!

Unknown said...

Positively brilliant. I love it.