Tuesday, October 26, 2010

In Style - or Not


To my surprise I found a huge InStyle magazine in my mailbox yesterday. I have no idea where it came from or why I got it. I certainly never purchased a subscription. In fact, I never even bought a single issue of a fashion magazine in my life. I wondered if maybe Karlo got it sent to me as a hint. LOL. Or maybe I recently bought something that landed me on a list of target market women. But then again, I can’t imagine Columbia, EMS, or LLBean share their customers with InStyle magazine. Where on earth did they get my name?

Given that it was free and sitting on the coffee table I was compelled to pick it up and flip through it last night. I couldn’t help but to feel guilty at the huge waste it was to send it to me. The magazine weighed about 2 pounds. It was huge! And filled with pages upon pages of stuff that I had positively no interest in. I mean I don’t really care where to find and buy the $400 jacket, $200 jeans, and $600 shoes that Cameron Diaz was spotted wearing. Are you kidding me?

I struggled to find one thing in the 300 pages that caught my eye. Finally I did. It was an ad for UGG boots. It had some hot chick in short shorts (wearing the ugliest UGG boots I ever saw) but it caught my eye and stopped me. Yeah, she had nice legs, but it was the cool dirt motorcycle that she was sitting on that intrigued me. That’s it. I’m hopeless in the fashion world. InStyle, please save a tree and a stamp and don’t send me anymore magazines.

2 comments:

tina said...

i was wondering if you would ever get contacted.i had the twins put your name and address in this girls scouts magazine promotion a few months back. i had them use gina's name and addr too. wonder if she ever got something? i thought you already must get magazines another one wouldn't hurt. how interesting they sent you Instyle, we didn't pick what would be sent. their troop got some type of something if they provided X amount of names/addr. now your mystery is solved :)

Unknown said...

Wow, that is amazing that you solved the mystery. Well, thank you for adding my name to the list! Who knows maybe it will help me be more fashionable one of these days. I'll do a better job at studying the next one. Of course I may have to consult with you T on whatever I pick out that I like. LOL