Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Fun While It Lasted

I should be doing a dozen other important things right now, but I’m putting them all aside to take a little mental trip back to Maine. The fun started last Wednesday afternoon. We had originally planned to depart for our trip on Thursday, but after the hellish trip we had to NJ, I decided that we earned a half day from work so we took off early. We beat the Boston traffic and drove up to Portland and spent the night. We had a fun dinner at some Mexican chain which name escapes me at the moment. Then we strolled around the Mall of Maine until we couldn’t stroll anymore. We got an incredible night’s sleep and stayed in bed until our bodies decided to drag ourselves to Dunkin Donuts. I think I slept for nearly 10 straight hours. It was bliss.

The next day we took a very leisurely ride along the coastal Rt 1, making stops in Camden, Northport to walk our land, Stockton Springs to do a drive by on our house and have lunch. Next stop was Ellsworth where we shopped at the LLBean outlet and another favorite Maine chain for some supplies. We made it to our cabin in just enough time to unpack and figure out where to go for sunset. It was a very last minute decision to try to catch the sunset and we just barely made it to the shore in time for me to snap a few nice pics.


The next couple of days were simply perfect. The first day out we hiked up Cadillac Mountain. It was a very windy day and I nearly blew clear off the side of the mountain.


But it was so worth it. The views of the Bay where outstanding.

We took our time and stopped for silly pictures. Like me riding one of the stone markings.

This hike was slotted to take 4 hours, but even with all the goofing off we still finished it in 2.5 hours (big surprise). That left us plenty of time to take another hike. We drove down to the park loop which follows the most scenic part of the park down to the Sandy Beach. I had a ball watching all the dogs play on the beach.


Then we found a hidden path off the trail that took us to a completely remote area of rocks right along the shore. We had the whole place to ourselves and just played around. Here’s a picture of Karlo pointing out the fact that there were puffins right off shore, swimming in the water.

And here’s me totally ignoring him and not at all understanding that he was saying there were PUFFINS out there.


I would have killed to see a puffin. I tried like hell to enlarge some pictures enough to make them out, but no luck. Kicking myself for missing this!

While out there we had a complete photo session of me posing on the rocks in various yoga poses. This is becoming quite the tradition wherever we go. It was lots of fun and I got quite the work out. This probably explains why I wasn’t at all sore after all the hiking.

More to follow . . .

No comments: