Saturday, May 7, 2011

Can't Seem to Catch a Break

My goodness this year seems to be a challenging one for us. When I look back at all the bad things that happened this year they far outweigh the good and I don't like it. I am so eager for the tides to change. Karlo used to tell me a little saying that his grandfather always told him. It had something to do with a wagon wheel and the mud . . . when life is hard and bad it's like you're the part of the wagon wheel that is stuck in the mud. It is during this time that you should be joyful because you know that when the wagon starts to move again, you'll soon be getting out of the mud and working your way back to the top. And it's when you're at the top of the wagon wheel that you should worry because there's only one direction to go from there . . . back down into the mud. So we are definitely in the mud right now and I'm very eagerly awaiting the damned wagon to GET MOVING!

No sooner did I start to feel better from the Lyme disease, but Karlo falls out of commission. And I mean completely out of commission. We are trying to figure out how this happened to him and sadly, we think it all goes back to that stupid tick. You see, when I started to feel a little better we started to go for nice easy walks on the road. Yes, the road, because I now have a 'woods phobia' due to the ticks. So we took the dogs for road walks and that's when the problem started. Karlo started to have strange pains in his left hip. But he's had these before and he just ignored them. By last Saturday I was really starting to feel better so we took a 3 mile walk (on the road, with the dogs) and it was after that that Karlo's hip really started to bother him. We figured out that Cooper must be the culprit because that stupid dog can't figure out how to walk on a leash without walking directly into Karlo's leg on every second step. So it was 3 miles of Karlo walking funny and pushing Cooper away with his left leg.

By Sunday Karlo was really hurting and we therefore didn't go for another walk. Instead he decides to go outside to chop and gather wood for a bonfire. After hours of serious heavy lifting and one bonehead move so stupid that I can't even discuss it because it really upsets me, Monday rolls around and now we really have a problem on our hands. Karlo can barely stand up and walk. Tuesday things get much worst.

Here we are five days later and he's still completely bed-ridden - flat on his back in terrible pain. We are waiting on results of the MRI, but we already know it's his sciatic nerve. The only question is what's causing it and how the hell do you make it go away? He's been taking double doses of some serious pain-killers plus a muscle relaxer and still can't stand for more than 2 minutes. I just pray that somebody kicks the horses that are attached to our wagon. I desperately want to get out of this mud. And soon!

1 comment:

tina said...

Karlo, I hope you get well soon.
Take care!