Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Sand Dunes of Cape Cod


One of the field trips from the photography workshop I attended last weekend was a dune tour. It was a hoot to get to drive through the untouched roads of the dunes. And by 'roads' I mean sand trails. I guess I should also specify that I didn't really get 'to drive' through it, but yet ride in the tour vehicle (which sadly was a Suburban rather than a dune buggy) but it was still lots of fun. Seeing as we were a bunch of photographers the tour operator stopped often so that we can all pile out of the truck and run around in the sand to take pictures. It was like doing a dozen Chinese firedrills and it brought back found memories of my youth and doing these on the city streets in Downtown Hartford.

Anyway, back to the dunes . . . after taking my first dozen pictures of far off landscapes (which never really were my cup of tea) I started to get bored. I figured it didn't matter how many different angles I could shoot sand dunes, they were all starting to look alike to me. So I started to experiment with different things and I tried to focus on lines and shade variations.






Then that started to bore me so I started to get a little more creative and look for things to shoot other than just dune landscape.





And then when I depleted my creativity with that I just plain got silly.




If you would like to see more of my B&W series, please visit my picasa album here. Overall I had a really nice time on the trip and I look forward to getting back on the Cape someday. But first I'm off to the Carolinas for a few days. Be back soon.

No comments: