Wednesday, September 3, 2008

I’m Gonna Miss the Buggers

Tomorrow we take off for Chicago. It’s our every-other-year trip to a big industry trade show. I’m not going to complain about this one. I’m actually looking forward to it . . . for many reasons: Karlo and I will be together, I love Chicago, Karlo’s book will make its big debut, I love Chicago, we’ll get to see our publisher again, we’ll take long walks along the Lake, the food, the window shopping, did I mention that I love Chicago?

When I asked Karlo if he’s looking forward to the trip his answer was, “I’m gonna miss my doggies.” How sweet is that? I’m not quite sure why he thinks they are his doggies, but still sweet. This morning made me realize that it will indeed be a tough 10 days without our little buggers. Here’s a story that I just have to share.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a couple of doggie bandannas – a pink one for Peanut and a purple one for Bentley. They looked adorable sporting their new threads and it lasted for a few days before they eventually fell off. We never took the effort to pick them up from wherever they had fallen and put them back on. Weeks went by.

Then this morning I came down to the garage to leave for work and noticed Bentley laying on his bed and Peanut standing near him, having her breakfast, wearing the purple bandanna. I thought, “Gee, that’s strange. Why did Karlo put Bentley’s bandanna on Peanut? And why did he only dress one dog up?” I thought for sure Karlo was getting the hounds ready for their big trip to Auntie Lisa’s tonight. So you can imagine my surprise when Karlo asked me if I put the bandanna on Peanut. Me? I didn’t do it. Now I’m still trying to figure out how and why she nestled her head into the bandanna all by herself. Karlo said it had to be an accident, but have you seen how long these dog’s necks are? Could she possibly have just laid down and the bandanna fell over her head? I am convinced that she wiggled it on on purpose. Boy, I wish I had a webcam. I know Peanut is very skilled at getting OUT of things, but who knew she could get into them all by herself?

I’m gonna miss my little buggers, but I know they will be living up, getting spoiled and having a grand old time with Luke and Lisa. Now if I could just get them to stop shedding the guilt would be lessened. Actually, if I could get them to stop shedding Lisa would steal them and I would be dog-less.

No comments: