Tuesday, August 25, 2009

More Lessons Learned

All I could think to talk about today was how much pain I’m still in from Sunday’s stunt. I just can’t believe how sore that made me. Everything hurts, but especially my thighs and back. And to think, my legs are in pretty good biking shape. I don’t even want to know what the recovery would have been like if I hadn’t been in such good shape. Yikes.

But instead of filling an entire blog post complaining about my aches and pains, I decided to complain about my wasted half of a vacation day yesterday. I took a half day off from work yesterday, mostly to meet the exterminator at home, but I was planning on having a crafty and productive afternoon. I had pottery to paint and a website to build, among other things. But it didn’t end up being productive at all.

The exterminator showed up just as I rolled into the driveway. We needed him to fix our carpenter ant, and worse, bee situation. Those darn bees are chomping away at our wood house and needed to be stopped. Well, this whole process took much longer than I wanted. The guy was very talkative and went on and on for what seemed like hours. And to make matters much worse, I was stupid enough to sit outside on the porch while he was doing all his spraying. You would think his warning to keep the dogs inside would have triggered my brain to assume that perhaps I too, should stay inside. But I’m apparently not that smart. I brought my pottery outside to the porch and painted for a while . . . until I started to feel sick. That’s when I gave up and laid down . . . on the swing on the porch. I took a nap and woke up feeling worse. So I moved out to the back deck (where most of the chemicals were sprayed) and lounged around there. By the time Karlo came home I was laying on the bed upstairs moaning and mad that I wasted my half-day off.

Luckily Karlo refused to hear that I didn’t want to kayak because I was sick so he forced me. And low and behold, I felt much better on the lake. I guess that was when it hit me that it must have been the chemicals making me feel bad. Seems like all of our lessons need to be learned the hard way.

No comments: