Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Socialnomics

Despite the fact that Karlo will call me a geek for weeks after this posting, I am still going to publicly admit that I am one. I am in my glory here at this web conference. I’m learning some fascinating things about the world wide web and the massive growing beast of the social medias. Everybody knows that Google is the number one search engine, but did you know that YouTube is #2? That’s right, YouTube. How many times did you go to YouTube when you wanted to find out general information? How much easier would it be to sit back and watch your answer instead of having to read it? You are probably like me and search for answers the traditional way, via Google . . . and then find hundreds of pages that you immediately click away from because there’s just too much text to read. How do I expect to learn the answers if I refuse to read? I like to blame my poor eyesight on why I’m so lazy, but the truth is that I don’t have the patience to read and apparently neither does most of the rest of the population. We would rather just have somebody tell us, or better yet, show us what we need to know.

I just find it fascinating to learn all about what is going on presently that I’m not already aware of. I think I have a pretty good handle on lots of things web-related and boy oh boy, the truth is, I don’t. There’s just SO MUCH stuff out there. And it changes by the day. How can you ever possibly keep up? Hearing about and seeing what’s possible today one thing, but hearing about what coming down the pike is even more astonishing.

One of the presentations that blew me away today had to do with Smule. Smule offers musical apps for your iPhone or iPad. Did you know that you can play your iPhone like a musical instrument? And use it to pitch control your voice and sing along with people on the other side of the planet? Check out this video for more on that:

Watch video here.

And speaking of video, this one sums up the whole reason that I’m out here for this conference. Maybe you have to be a geek like me to really appreciate it, but I found it fascinating.

Watch video here

2 comments:

Kaeso said...

FYI, you're referring to socialnomics. Not socionomics.

www.socionomics.net

Unknown said...

Whoops. Thanks Benh!