Thursday, September 23, 2010

Only in Maine

I got up really early again today to try to catch the sunrise. I can't tell you how difficult it is to drag myself out of bed earlier than necessary. The days are so long and draining. After nearly 12 hours in front of the computer my eyeballs are burning out of the sockets and my head is pounding. Some quiet alone time is all I crave. But regardless, I was up this morning at 5:15 and out the door by 5:30. The trouble with making this decision is that you never know what you're going to get. The sunrise may be great, but then again, it may be a dud.

I drove in the dark to Camden Hills State Park with the plan of making the 1.5 mile trek to the top of the hill for a spectacular display. It was so dark when I arrived I couldn't even figure out where to park. I found this tiny little lot with signs warning that it was for 15 minute parking only, but I figured I would be out before 7 am. Who would even know since the park doesn't open until much later?

So I parked and tried to navigate my way around in the pitch dark woods. I had my GPS phone with me, but that didn't stop me from walking down the wrong dead end road. Uuuugh, every minute counts when you're trying to catch a sunrise. Once I got on the right road I realized that it was going to be a longer trek than I anticipated so I started to jog - uphill - not fun. I worked like a dog (ridiculous analogy) to make it to the top by 6:15. By the time I got there I was sweating and it became painfully obvious that it was a waste of time. The sky was almost completely covered in clouds and it was very disappointing. Oh well, at least I got a good work out!

I start my trek back down, this time I jogged most of the way since it was all downhill. I encountered some deer along the road and heard the strangest sounds that I'm convinced where moose! As I walk toward my car I see a bright pink ticket on my window. GREAT. Just what I needed. I should have stayed in bed. I have a fancy car with out-of-state plates, but of course I would get a ticket at 6 am, right? I was already pleading my case in my head, coming up with my excuses for why I parked illegally. When I got up to the car, close enough to see the 'ticket' I just couldn't believe it. This is what I see.


Only in Maine would you get a friendly reminder that you are parked illegally. Thank you Maine!

2 comments:

tina said...

that is a lucky break...have you seen Gaga nearby??

Unknown said...

No, I think she was in Portland. I heard about it on the news. I'm not even sure I would recognize her! I'm a loser.