Thursday, September 9, 2010

Some Expensive For Sale Signs

A few weeks ago Karlo and I went into the local Eastford hardware store (yes, we have one single lonely store in our town) to buy a couple of For Sale signs for my car. That's all we needed, 2 signs, which should have totaled about $2. But while we were in the tiny little line waiting to be checked out I happened to notice a small display of kitchen cabinets and counter tops. Who knew that our little local hardware store sold these things? I couldn't help but to occupy myself by looking at the different chunks of granite. We had talked about switching our island over to granite some day, but we never really seriously shopped for it. Of course I had to open my mouth and ask the prices. Come to find out they were running a special on 5 different colors, one of which we really liked. Seeing that our anniversary was right around the corner and I already have all the 'rocks' that I 'need' I thought some 'stone' would be nice. We decided to just go for it, right on the spot. The owner of the store called me two times during the following week to make sure we really wanted to do this. I guess most people don't spontaneously buy a new counter top. This guy obviously doesn't know us very well.

On Tuesday we went from this:

To this:


And I simply love it! Notice how the new stone makes the woodwork richer. OK, that's a bunch of BS. I took both pictures with my phone and for some reason the wood is washed out in the 'before' picture. But I suppose it just enhances the contrast between before and after, no?

We sort of added a few extra zeros to our $2 For Sale signs, but I've been wanting granite for so long. Not that our marbley, swirly white Corian was ugly or out of date, it was just impossible to keep clean. Every single crumb showed up like it was spotlighted. At least now we have millions of flecks and specks to hide the dust and crumbs. I can finally rest easy knowing that, even if the island isn't really clean, at least it doesn't look filthy and that is good enough for me.

1 comment:

tina said...

looks great and if it brings you
much less stress even better!