Monday, December 22, 2008

I’m Dreaming of a Green Christmas

Next year I’m planning on making a lot of changes to simplify my life and one of them includes cutting down on the amount of time I spend wrapping Christmas presents. Not only is my new solution a time-saver for me, but it’s also much better for the environment. At the end of the holiday season last year a friend suggested making cloth bags for gift giving. She has been making some every year and now has enough to give everybody on her list a gift inside a pretty cloth bag. She asks for the bags back at the end of the present opening bonanza and is not contributing one piece of wrapping paper into a landfill. It sounded like a great idea and I had every good intention of making a couple bags per month so that I would be all ready for this Christmas. Needless to say, that never happened. But the good news is that I found some great cloth bags at Ocean State Job Lots. What makes them so great? The fact that they are already made and require no time or effort on my part. They are nice and big, include a drawstring for easy opening and closing, and they even have a name card holder. You can easily slip in new cards every year. I’m thrilled. I bought a bunch of them for next year and plan to buy even more the next time I get anywhere near the store. I’m almost looking forward to how easy the burden of wrapping presents will be next year, not to mention how much easier transporting all the gifts will be. So if you get a present from me in a pretty cloth bag, don’t forget . . . I want the bag back! Consider doing yourself (and the planet) a favor and stocking up on your own supply of cloth gift bags.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OSJL is so much fun.