Monday, June 4, 2007

I'm a Loser!

Volleyball used to be MY LIFE! There were times when I couldn't even imagine a week day evening where I wasn't playing volleyball. I played every night. Oh, and by the way, I also used to look just like the chick above! My life literally revolved around playing. I was even once ranked 7th in New England for my bracket in beach tournaments. Ah yes, those where the days . . . And here I am . . . sitting in front of my computer, riddled with guilt over NOT playing tonight. What is wrong with me?

My friend Sheryl asked me to sub on her team tonight. It's an indoor team (of 6 players) on a women's net. Years ago I would have drooled at the thought. Yeah, my true love is beach volleyball, but given the fact that that's a ton harder to play, I should be jumping at the opportunity to play on a court.

But I turned her down. I'm terrified that I forgot how to play. Karlo insists that it's like riding a bicycle, but what does he know? First time I got on my road bike this year, I forgot how to switch gears!! And at least you don't make a fool of yourself trying to remember how to ride a bike. And you don't let a team down if you screw up.

I just couldn't bring myself to go to the game. It pains me to think about showing up in silly clothes (I don't have any appropriate sneakers or shorts here at Dad's) and looking like I don't know how to play. I don't want to be the team loser. I want to be the chick that stuffs the ball down the opponents face. And if I can't do that, I don't want to play. So there! Sorry Sheryl. We need to get to a park and see if I still got it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your not a loser!
just get out there, have fun and
you'll forget about all the reasons
why you think you shouldn't be out
there.