Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Final Outer Banks Notes

I guess I got sidetracked with my Cooper story yesterday and forgot that I didn't finish my Outer Banks photos story. Must have been the lack of sleep and exhaustion. The good news is that both Cooper and I slept last night. So let me pick up where I left off.

The conditions weren't always perfect for brilliant sunrises and sunsets. Sometimes we had to make the best of the situation. For instance, we got up ridiculously early one day and drove 40 minutes to see a lighthouse. Only when we got there it was raining. So I got a couple of creative shots like these:


We made a pit stop in Virginia to visit some friends on our way home. It was sort of gray and gloomy and I debated even taking my camera out of the car, but I learned my lesson that pictures can be anywhere, even when you are sure there is nothing worth photographing. I snapped this shot off our friend's back deck. I just loved the contrast:


Then on our drive home it was raining so I took a nap in the car. Suddenly Karlo whacks me in the arm, "Wake up! Check this out!" When I opened my eyes I saw that Karlo stopped at a body of water and the sun had come out late in the afternoon, just when the light really starts to get interesting. Add to the interesting light was the fact that a bank of fog was rolling in across the water.


And finally we just happened to cross the bridge over the Potomac River just before sunset. It was too perfect to not stop and try to capture the sunset. The sunset turned out to be a dud, but I was amazed at some of the cool pictures I got. I learned another important lesson . . . the camera's eye is much different than the human eye and what it sees is usually better then what reality is. Standing there in person looking at this scene was nowhere near as nice.


I uploaded some more of the highlight pictures from this trip. If you would like to see them all, please click here.

3 comments:

tina said...

such great photos!!!more for you to add to your gallery collection.
it sounds like your drive to NC was
much better than ours to SC.

Seaside Vacations - OuterBanksVacations.com said...

Great pictures!

Seems like you made the most of your time on the OBX. Please come back soon.

Please let us know if we can help you plan your next trip to the Outer Banks.

Seaside Vacations
OuterBanksVacations.com

4820 N. Croatan Hwy
Kitty Hawk, NC 27949
(866) 884-0267
Blog.OuterBanksVacations.com

michelled said...

Paula - I'm just getting around to looking at your pics from OBX on your blog. Holy cow! These are AMAZING!!!! Crisp, beautiful color and some tough lighting challenges! Were you shooting in manual??

I'm so impressed (and envious!). Nice job!!!!!!!!!!