Friday, March 5, 2010

This is Why I Think Fashion is a Joke

I’m not normally drawn to anything that has to do with fashion. I never bought a fashion magazine in my entire life and never even heard of Dolce & Gabbana until Tina introduced it to me. My favorite clothing labels are Mountain Hardware, Eddie Bauer and Lands End. Needless to say the fashion world just confuses me.

However, with all that said, one of my favorite TV shows is What Not to Wear. I think this is because I just love makeovers in any possible form, home or beauty. So when I saw a link in an Oprah newsletter this morning about “fashions to avoid this Spring and what not to wear” it drew me in. And what I saw was down right ridiculous. Do we really need an article to explain that we should NOT be wearing these Halloween costumes? I mean, really . . . .

Example #1:
Now the picture on the left is what we are not supposed to wear and the outfit on the right is what we are supposed to wear . . . if we are going to jail, or perhaps painting our house. I can only imagine with that janitor suit costs.

Example #2:
I’m still trying to figure out which outfit is more hideous–the one we are or are not supposed to wear.

Example #3:
I think this one only applies to hookers. At least I HOPE it does.

Example #4:
There are just no words to express my thoughts on the ‘what not to wear’ outfit. I just want to know what these designers are smoking, and how much money those models are being paid to look as ridiculous as they do. And how can they even compare these two outfits? This was the only ‘what to wear’ outfit that was even close to looking like normal clothes.

Example #5:
OK, once again . . . do I even need to comment? Give me my Keen sandals any day.

2 comments:

tina said...

thanks for giving me something to do while i am at work, i love reading your blog. just remember that fashion is about fantasy too. so although these items are not in your reality they could be in someone's. it can be just one part of the outfit that you can take and use or either the color or pattern. maybe look at it as small pieces instead of the whole package. everyone sees things differently, isn't that great.

Lisa said...

I was just Blog-Hopping and ran across your blog. Very nicely done, great job :-)

Lisa