Monday, July 12, 2010

Fast Cars and Bald Dogs

Once again combining stories, although this is the ‘weekend story’ so maybe it’s just one story after all. This was one of the few blissful weekends where we didn’t have a single plan. God I love weekends like that. Lately I hyperventilate at the thought of making the slightest commitment. I am becoming the most non-committal person I know. I just love keeping myself open. It seems to take a little bit of pressure off me and Lord knows I can use that these days.

So Saturday we played and did some house chores in the morning. We went for a nice hike with the dogs and made a little dent in cleaning the house. That is one battle that we will never win and I’m very proud of myself for not really caring too much about it. I seem to have a million other things that cause me stress and lately a messy house is not one of them. Why kill myself to try to keep it clean only to have a dog shake it’s head and a cloud of hair to follow? At least watching the hair fly around a non-immaculate house is easier to handle.

When the rain came in the afternoon we decided to kill the rest of the day driving nearly to Boston to test drive cars. Lately I’ve been itchy (thanks to some unnamed person instigating) for a cool sports car. Maybe I feel like I need a reward for all the crazy work I’ve been doing, as if that will give me the mental motivation to make it all worth while. I don’t know. I still love my Mini, but strangely we went off to see some cars. It almost made me think back to when we spent a year looking at houses. Every house we saw (until finding our current one) just made me love home all the more. I would go out with big expectations and then come home and realize how much I loved what I already owned. That sort of happened on Saturday. I guess I set my expectation really high for these high-end European sports cars and when I realized that they were no more fun to drive than my own Mini it made me feel great about my little car. Here was the only car that made me say, “Now THIS is a sports car.”


Yeah, that was fun.

Sunday surprised us with the weather. We were planning for rain and as it turned out it was a gorgeous day. After spending the first hour cleaning up dog hair I snapped and called our neighbor. It was high time to shave these animals. I ran over to borrow some clippers and there went the dog’s coats. Good bye shedding. Hello bald dogs.


They didn’t seem to mind a bit. In fact, I think they kind of liked it. We shaved Cooper first and when it was Peanut’s turn we couldn’t keep Cooper away. He wanted more clipping action. They were adorable and now they are so soft I can’t stop hugging them. They don't really look much different, just a few shades lighter in color.

The rest of the afternoon went to kayaking, shopping, and a trail run. We even had time to lounge on the deck and drink more frozen drinks. My stress-induced twitching eye problem was totally under control all weekend and that makes me happy. Still trying to solve the back pain.

3 comments:

tina said...

you have to keep the Mini! it is so cool looking. every time we see one on the road the kids always comment about seeing yours and sitting in it while in your garage.

joven said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
joven said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.