Thursday, July 1, 2010

Massage From Hell

Yesterday started my back recovery program. Although my official Physical Therapy session doesn’t start until next week I made an appointment with a massage therapist in hopes of getting some relief before our upcoming motorcycle weekend getaway. Holy Lord it was torture. Thank God I only booked a 30 minute session rather than an hour. I don’t think I could stand it for an hour. And the kicker is that I had a 15 minute session from this same therapist during my little fun spa night a few months back and I loved it. But last night . . . a whole different story. I would equate it to Chinese water torture, only with lots of pain.

Apparently my back is a mess. The Physical Therapist only needed to place two fingers on me to know this, but the massage therapist didn’t even have to touch me. She said that she could ‘see’ the problems. I have bundles of muscle masses bulging from my back. Of course I already knew this as I can feel them when I lean back in a chair. What a nightmare.

I endured the session and at the end she told me to drink plenty of water to reduce the soreness that will follow. What? I am going to be sore from getting a massage? Does that not seem wrong to you? Well, I woke up this morning and it feels like I was in a car wreck. Every single part of my back (including my neck) hurts. Aside from having no nerve pain, I can barely move. Yet strangely I’m still better off. Muscle pain I can handle. I’m very used to it. Now nerve pain . . . that I can’t take. So now that I’m terribly sore with reduced mobility in my neck, I guess I’m ready to jump on my motorcycle tomorrow for two days of driving. YIKES! First a trip to CVS for some painkillers and IceyHot.

I’m trying really hard to fix myself. I told Karlo this morning to make sure that I keep my shoulders down as much as possible. And it’s important that I stay warm. I told him that when I get cold my back muscles tense up and Karlo said, “Well then, you don’t have a chance.” That was a nice thought to start the day. sigh

2 comments:

tina said...

i hope the medicine helps and you get to really enjoy your birthday weekend. don't forget to keep drinking alot of water, it will help alot with your muscle pain.

Penni said...

Screw the water.... Drink Alcohol. That will kill the pain and you will enjoy your Birthday even more. Just kidding!! Lots of water and Naproxin should help. Have fun this weekend