Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Rest of the Birthday Celebration

Let's see if I can catch myself up to present day. Although it seemed like we were already off from the realities of real life for a long days, by the time we got back from Litchfield it was only Saturday night. What a great bonus that was. We still had two whole days of our mini vacation to go. We had originally planned on going to the fireworks on Saturday night, but in my condition of extreme pain that was just not going to happen. I resolved myself to the fact that the world wouldn't end if I didn't see live fireworks on the 4th. I must be getting old for this to happen because it's the first year in my life that I missed them, but strangely I was at peace with it. I was just too tired to care.

On Saturday we thought it best to bag our bicycle plans and we opted for a nice hike with the dogs followed by a picnic at sea (or lake). We took the kayak down to Mansfield Hollow and it was the perfect kayak day. The humidity had not yet attacked and there was a strong wind. We paddled to the far side of the lake and then sailed all the way back to shore, twice. I brought a magazine and totally relaxed. My back was already starting to feel better.

Before we knew it it was time to boogie back home. We had to get showered and dressed for our big night out. Part of my birthday present was tickets to see Cirque du Soleil. We made a pit stop at Evergreen Walk to cash in on my birthday coupon from The Loft and I scored myself a pair of dress pants for $5. Nothing makes my day like that. Next stop was a quick visit to my Dad, which is always nice, and then we were off to see the amazing show. We've gone a couple of times in the past and the same thing happens to me every year. I get so inspired by the performers remarkable physical talents that it made me want to go home and attempt some ridiculous yoga pose right away. But luckily my back kept me from doing anything stupid.

On the way home we stopped at the Wood n Tap for dinner. I love that place. I had my ultimate birthday dinner. It just doesn't get much better in my book . . . a garden burger, sweet potato fries, and a Blue Moon. We sat outside and watched the sky turn beautiful colors while I licked my fingers in bliss.

Oh boy, we really had to haul to get home because we wanted to catch the NYC fireworks on TV. I know, I know, pretty lame for my birthday fireworks, but it was better than nothing. We watched the great show in the comfort of our home, with our dogs, no traffic, no drunks. It was perfect. Only thing missing was the birthday cake, but only Karlo was missing it!

Sorry no pictures today. And I still didn't catch up . . . and ran out of time. I'm restricting my evening computer time so I better sign off. More soon.

3 comments:

lgaumond said...

I'm sorry, but I still find it hilarious that you say "my back hurt too much to take a bicycle ride...so instead we went hiking and then paddled a kayak." Have I told you recently how crazy you are?

Unknown said...

Yeah, I guess that is pretty funny. Hiking was painful, but kayaking makes my back very happy. The best I feel is when I'm paddling. Too bad I can't paddle all day long.

tina said...

now I want some sweet potatoe fries!!yummy