Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Phase 2 - Part 2

We were both so exhausted after an entire day of riding that scouting out sunset photo ops was not even a consideration. We went straight back to our inn after dinner and after some nice chatting with the inn keeper and other guests we crashed out. The next morning we were ready to start another exciting day of riding. Karlo meticulously got the bikes all cleaned and ready to ride. I just stood around taking random photos.




Then we were off. Our first stop was what the locals called “the most beautiful farm in the country.” And I think they were right. It was immaculate and so picturesque. One of the other guests that we chatted with the night before was an auctioneer and they were having their big annual cattle auction this day. He invited us to come and check it out and I’m so glad I did. Of couse I wanted to buy a cow! But could you blame me? Look how cute they were.

Next we went to Kent and stopped for a break at Kent Falls. We took a short hike (again thankful for my new Keen boots), did some much needed yoga stretches, and just meandered through the park. I had to feel like we got our money’s worth for the $9 parking ;-)

Next stop was Cornwall to see the covered bridge. The bridge was neat and the best part was that we got to ride through it twice. There wasn’t much to see or do in Cornwall so it was a short visit. We did go through the display room at a local cabinetry shop and we were just in awe. I snapped some photos of my dream headboard and dining table. Some day . . . next house . . .

Now it was time to make tracks back home. We started to head north and ended up back in Norfolk but I didn’t want to stop at the same place for lunch. We needed a new expereince. So we went to a cute little town called Rivertown. As you can imagine, it was next to the river - actually the Farmington River. We parked in front of little Italian place that smelled do good I couldn’t stand it. I mean the smell of that sauce launched me right back to childhood. That was MY family’s sauce in there. I was so excited to go in for lunch, but unfortunately the deal was that this place prepared full meals and then sold them to you frozen to have at home. I wanted to cry. WHY couldn’t this place be in our neck of the woods? This would be a dream come true. I think our next house will be in Riverton, next door to this place! We got some deli sandwiches at the adorable little general store and ate on the picnic tables outside. This would be our last stop before the long ride home.

By the time we got home I was in so much pain I could barely get off my bike. My back was KILLING me. That really put a damper on the day, but it was still worth it. I’m so glad we went. It was a big accomplishment for me and we are already planning the next one for next year. If you would like to see more photos from the trip, please click here.

2 comments:

lgaumond said...

I LOVE Riverton! We camped in Winstead one year and would stop at the Riverton General Store every day for lunch before our hikes. There was a great ice cream place there, too. I wonder if it's still there.

I'm glad you had a great time, the pictures are gorgeous!

tina said...

great pictures and thanks for some local destination ideas for us this summer.