Thursday, October 4, 2007

No Soup For You

That phrase used to make me laugh. But now it's just ridiculous. From the minute I landed in Charlotte I have been craving chicken noodle soup. I know it's psychological and it probably doesn't really make you feel better when you're sick, but I wanted it anyway.

So immediately upon entering my room, I called room service and asked what kinds of soup they had. The answer was: New England clam chowder and lobster bisque - both of which are guarantee stomach aches for me. I hemmed and hawed and finally decided that I didn't need to add a stomach ache to my already long list of ailments. So I passed.

The next night there was no soup of the menu. Oh well.

The next night there WAS soup on the menu and I asked that all important question, "What is the soup of the day?" To my delight the answer was chicken noodle. Finally, I was going to get my long awaited soup. I was so excited . . . 10 minutes later the waitress comes back to the table to inform me that they just ran out of the chicken noodle soup. sniff sniff. In place of it, they could offer chicken cream soup which she explained was spicy. Uuugh. Spicy and cream. Not good. So sadly, I declined.

Then yesterday I decided I would treat myself to lunch, something that we don't often get during a show. I walked over to the cafe and to my surprise, there was a big vat of soup. Yippee. This time I was getting some no matter what the type. I wasn't even going to ask what kind of soup it was. I just walked right up, with a big smile on my face, and ordered a bowl of soup. The lady opened up the cover, looked in and said, "I'm sorry we don't have any soup left today."

That's it. I give up. Me having soup has become the biggest joke of the show. I'm glad I am amusing everyone with my sad soup stories. I have come to terms with the fact that I am not getting soup in this state. Maybe I'll have been luck in TN. Or perhaps at home. But then again, by the time I get home I'll be perfectly healthy and will no longer crave the soup.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will take you out to an all you can eat soup place when you get back.

lgaumond said...

I'm surprised there wasn't cream of broccoli. That seems to be the generic soup anywhere you go. i never see chicken noodle out at a restaurant. Pretty funny that you go down south to be given a choice of two New England soups!

Jamie said...

It's a good thing I don't have your stomach! You should see what I put into my tummy the past few days!!!

Are you far south enough for GUMBO - now you're talkin'!