Monday, November 2, 2009

A Few (More) Words About Traveling Overseas

I can always count on a nice long trip to put things into better perspective. And going to Europe always makes Karlo and I come home with a different outlook on life. The last couple of times we went over we realized just how rushed and chaotic our lives at home where. We swore that we would modify our lifestyle to be more like the laid back Europeans. We promised to change our diet and our mannerisms and we would make a better effort to relax. Well, I’m not exactly sure what happened to all of those empty promises.

This time things were different. This time we got to experience more of the less desirable aspects of Europe. We got forced to use public transportation, drive in heavy/crazy traffic, and breathe in smoggy air. It was during these times that I really had to stop and take notice. Here I was with little patience, annoyed that I had to stand on a moving, loud, uncomfortable train for 20 or 30 minutes. I stopped and looked around at all the other passengers and realized that this was the story of their lives. They probably ride this same train to and from wherever it was they were going day after day. I thought my 30 minutes were so unpleasant because at home I have the luxury of hopping into the cutest car on earth to go wherever I want in pure comfort. I simply could not imagine having to live day in and day out like the locals did.

It’s funny the things we take for granted like our cars or the clean air we breathe. Or here’s an interesting one. We take for granted that most of the people that we encounter on a day to day basis are, for the part, friendly and respectful. That is not something that I ever really noticed before, but after spending some time in Italy (well, Northern Italy anyway) I realize that this is not the case all over the world. I hate to say this (especially considering this is my heritage), but most of the Italians that I encountered were incredibly rude and unpleasant people. Now granted, if I had to live where they live and travel the way they do, I might be a bit crotchety too, but I just found it astounding how rude and unfriendly the majority was. I never encountered this in any of my other travels to Italy so I’m just going to stick with the idea that Milan turns people grumpy. I think the only happy people there are the super rich that can afford to shop.

So this time we came back home with a renewed love for the life we have. It seems like you always need to be away from something (or someone) to make you realize how much you love it (them). Yes, I still love Europe and I will likely continue to travel there, but in the meantime I am going to savor all the beauty, luxury, and freedom that we enjoy on a daily basis. It’s always good to stop and be thankful for what you have. Gee, I should have saved this post for Thanksgiving . . .

No comments: