Monday, November 30, 2009

What a Weekend

I think I’m just getting my voice back. Although the sales at the gallery were very slow, the visiting with friends was in full swing. What a ball I had hanging out all weekend and doing nothing but catching up with friends, without the guilt that I should be working. As much as I stressed over being ready for the gallery opening, I was looking forward to two straight days (actually, two straight weekends) of just sitting still. And it was better than I even hoped. On Saturday we had non-stop guests and the day flew by. We even had our last (saintly) visitors call ahead to see if it was OK to bring us dinner. HELLO! Is this really a question? How amazingly nice it was to close up shop and move the party to the house. Lisa made the best turkey stew and I made my contribution to the meal by slaving over the oven to bake an apple crisp pie. OK, since Penni is reading I better fess up. I sort of warmed up a frozen pie, but it required me operating the oven and I did a good job. Everything was delicious. We talked until 10 PM. What a perfect day.

Sunday was more of the same only less visitors, but they stayed longer. I still can’t believe that my cousins drove an hour and 15 minutes to see the gallery. Since they invested so much time in the commute, I insisted they stay and visit all afternoon. It was their first time to our house and to be honest I never spent quality time visiting with these guys so it was really special.

Everything went very smoothly inside the gallery, minus the near electrical fire yesterday. I sort of fried my computer monitor, but learned a valuable lesson. I have to say, it was really nice to live out my dream and I really enjoyed myself as I sat and painted pottery in my toasty, cozy ‘studio’ with my hounds snoozing by my side. It was the most relaxing time I spent in a very long time and now that I think about it, my shoulder didn’t hurt all weekend.

2 comments:

lgaumond said...

Well it sounds like a great success to me! Congratulations, the gallery is just beautiful. So what happened to your monitor??

Unknown said...

I will post this publicly since I learned a valuable lesson that might help others . . . I left the monitor in the shack over night and it got very cold. Then in the morning we fired up the propane to warm the place up and I fired up my computer and monitor. Well apparently the condensation that formed from the monitor being cold caused it to fry. Smoke came out of it and it smelled like an electrical fire. I was told that monitors are more sensitive than computers - thank God I didn't fry my laptop. So lesson learned. If you ever leave your electronics in your car in the cold, let them warm to room temperature naturally before starting.