Friday, June 27, 2008

Don't Pet That Dog

Several years ago Karlo and I attended a Home Show. We strolled around looking at home improvement products and little did we know the home improvement that would result was furry and four-legged. I still remember the whole scene. There was a greyhound awareness booth and I was drawn to it like a magnet. I circled it from a distant a few times. I stood and read their signage. I went back to pick up a brochure. The whole while Karlo stood across the aisle, with his arms crossed, telling me, "Paula do NOT pet those dogs!" Well, I didn't listen. I went back one more time and that time I pet the dogs. That was it. I was picking out a dog name on the drive back home.

One night, last week in Seattle, Karlo and I found ourselves with nothing to do. We just finished dinner and didn't know what to do with ourselves. We are so unaccustomed to having free time on our hands that we were just plain confused. What do we do now??? Well, in the spare 30 minutes we managed to get ourselves into mischief. "Hey, I know . . . why don't we go visit our car dealership?" Yeah, that was a great idea.

We innocently went to spy on some new cars. It started out innocent, but soon Karlo could see that same twinkle in my eye. That's when he said, "Paula, do NOT pet that car." Once again, I didn't listen to him. I pet it. I even sat in it. And now . . . I'm obsessed with it. Is this really my fault? Ok, but it is ALL my fault?

Now I'm sitting here agonizing over what to do. We are planning to go for a test drive tonight. I need my head examined. I have a perfectly great car, completely paid off, with less than 10K miles on it. It's the smart choice of a car, completely practical, but also boring. I crave a car that better reflects my personality. Oh dear, what's a girl to do? This is all Karlo's fault!

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Not to be an enabler, but BUY THE DAMN CAR. Life is too short. If I didn't have the three little ones, I'd be driving a Mini right now!

Although our Civic hybrid (now getting around 42MPG) fits them just fine, I still can't get rid of the minivan just yet.

Post up some pictures when you make your purchase!

Better yet, take me for a spin in in on the 5th.

Anonymous said...

how can you post this blog and not
tell me what car it is!!!!!!
now you're torturing me and i dont
like it, so you better get the car
and have it at your house on the
5th so we can all sit in it :)

lgaumond said...

You are absolutely insane, you know that, right? Why do you even OWN a car? You don't even ever drive the one you have!!

Why don't you sell your Saab and lease a Mini because you know that no matter how much you love it now, you're going to want something else in two years.

Unknown said...

Funny, that is exactly what Karlo suggested this morning. Maybe I will look into that leasing option.