Thursday, June 26, 2008

My Heart is Still Aching

Last night could have been the perfect night. For the first time in several months I didn’t bother bringing home my laptop. I took a break from working on the book and set out to enjoy the evening. We had a gourmet meal, in a terrific atmosphere, and seats with a gorgeous view. OK, we packed some peanut butter and jelly bagels and ate them while floating in our kayak in the middle of the lake at Bigelow Hollow. But it was perfect! Couldn’t ask for a better dinner. As a matter of fact we decided to make this a routine and do this once every week. I loved it. Sorry that I didn’t take my camera and share some shots with you. And to think, this week’s Dig Our Pics theme is water. Shameful.

As if missing the pictures of the beautiful Mountain Laurel reflecting on the lake wasn’t bad enough, when we got back to shore I found the most adorable baby raccoon in the parking lot. I was really kicking myself now for not having the camera. It didn’t take too long to figure out that this little baby was crying out for help. It was so small that it could barely walk. Its legs were still wobbly and it cried and squeaked non-stop. There was no mother in site and my heart broke for this little creature. I hung around and watched it for several minutes and we bonded. It followed me all the way across the parking lot and even tried to run when it saw me getting into the car. It got so close to the car that I had to get out to help direct Karlo out of the parking spot without running it over. I desperately wanted to take it home and Karlo and I argued over it. He insisted that I shouldn’t touch it and needed to leave it alone. All the way home my heart ached. I still can’t stop thinking about it. I even named him Mickey and nearly drove back to find him. I hope to God that he’s going to make it. I still don’t understand why I couldn’t have a pet raccoon. I used to have a squirrel when I was a kid. This is all Karlo’s fault. That meanie.

No comments: